DUAL CORE PROCESSOR

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

John Pippert
eCabinets Beta Tester

DUAL CORE PROCESSOR

Post by John Pippert »

Is anyone else using a dual core for their computor? We are having trouble in 5.1 in custom layout area running slow and getting error messages (out of memory).
Athalon 64-2 dual core with 1 gig of ram and Invidia 7600 512meg video card

John Pippert
Justin Melhiser

Re: DUAL CORE PROCESSOR

Post by Justin Melhiser »

John
The is no advantage to dual core ecabs is single-threaded and multiple threads are required to take advantage of more than one core or processor. Also the dual core should not cause any problems while running eCabinet Systems. In your post you stated that you were having trouble in V5.1 custom layout. The file you send me was from Beta. If this file started out in V5.1 then I need that file. I can not take the file you sent me and load it in V5.1 it will not let you.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

What brand, model and type (desktop, laptop) of computer are you using?

There have been numerous issues running eCabinets on certain systems with Athlon processors in the past. Most of the issues were with HP computers.

One thing that may be causing problems for you is the video card. The GeForce cards are designed for home/play use (see attached image from nVidia's website) and are not very efficient with OpenGL programs like eCabinets. Your card "says" it has 512MB of memory but half of that comes from system RAM. Since you only have 1GB of system RAM, that leaves you with only 768MB for the operating system and programs.

You really need a video card like the nVidia Quadro series which are designed with OpenGL in the forefront instead of added as an afterthought.

Something else you can check is your virtual memory settings. I have an article in the eCabWorld Tips & Tricks forumdetailing how to set virtual memory for best performance.
nvidia cards.jpg
nvidia cards.jpg (58.15 KiB) Viewed 6143 times
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

John,

From my experience the 7600 GS is more than enough for renderings in ecabs. I'm not sure if there are different versions of that card but mine has 512 dedicated and is either direct3D or openGL depending on the application. I currently run this on 3 PC's and am happy with the performance. I've seen some of the other highend cards and they don't seem worth the extra money unless your like Dan (independantly wealthy) :wink: .

Forrest
John Pippert
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by John Pippert »

The ESJ file that was sent is Beta 2.3,not from 5.1, otherwise we would'nt have posted the message in this forum.

Thank you
John Pippert
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Forrest Chapman wrote:...unless your like Dan (independantly wealthy)...
Yeah, right... :(
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

John Pippert wrote:The ESJ file that was sent is Beta 2.3,not from 5.1, otherwise we would'nt have posted the message in this forum.

Thank you
John Pippert
Take another look John...this is not the beta testers forum.