Who's running the store?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark Fese

Who's running the store?

Post by Mark Fese »

Don't know if this is the right forum but who is it that I can contact regarding items in the woodworkers wholesale online store? I purchased 3 up down compression bits assuming that the up cut lengths are typical 1/4" and now that I have them the upcut is 1/2" , I went back to the members store to see what I missed and there is no information regarding the upcut length, thats important. thanks Mark
Free Lance eCabinet Designers
ACD All Cabinet Design
www.acdallcabinetdesign.com
Eric Shearn

Re: Who's running the store?

Post by Eric Shearn »

Mark,
Call into Thermwood and ask for catalog. One of the ladies will be able get you the right tools. I will make the change on the website to show the upcut length.
877-880-4638

Thank You,
Eric Shearn
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Eric
What are the advantages of using a bit with 1/2" up cut?
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Mark Fese

Post by Mark Fese »

Thats a good question Will, or disadvantages we use a full blind dadoe at 1/4" deep and I'm wondering if the upcut portion will create chips in the material.Mark
ACD All Cabinet Design
Eric Shearn

Post by Eric Shearn »

When cutting blind dado we use the mortise compressions. These tools have a 3/16" upcut, that will allow you to cut a 1/4" deep dado and not chip the top edge of the material.
If you are only cutting 3/4" thick material at full depth than the compressions bits with the longer upcut will work fine.
Thank You,
Eric
Mark Fese

Post by Mark Fese »

Thanks Eric, we have been using the up down spiral compression bits with a 1/4" upcut since we purchased our Thermwood for our dadoe applications, Mainly I think because that is what came with the package with the cnc which seemed to be fine untill the bits get a little bit of useage and we send them in to be resharpend. The 3/16" upcut sounds like the way to go. I'm just suprised that I have not come acrossed them in the Member store(do you have a part #?) I've been using the vortex brand yet are willing to change. thanks, Mark.
ACD All Cabinet Design
Eric Shearn

Post by Eric Shearn »

Hello Mark,

The 1/4" upcut tool that you are using is another we use here as well. Even though it has a 1/4" upcut you can still cut 1/4" dado, as you already know. This is because the up and down flutes overlap each other a little bit, which keeps it from chipping. The tools on the site that have 3/16" upcuts are VX03187, VX3287 both are 1/2" diameter. We also have 1/4" and 3/8" diameter with the 3/16" upcut, which I beleive you are all ready using. Please feel free to contact me anytime with questions.

Thank You
Eric Shearn
800-533-6901 ext.238
Mark Fese

Post by Mark Fese »

Thanks Eric , I think I'll purchase one of the 3/16" upcuts and try it on this rift sawn oak job I'm working on (this material is hard not to have chips on a cross cut) Thanks for the info. Mark.
ACD All Cabinet Design