Momentary freeze

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Ron Shultz

Momentary freeze

Postby Ron Shultz » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 7:41AM

Does anyone else's computer freeze for a little bit when you press the Presentation button in Detail Room? The cursor doesn't move.

Ron Shultz

Justin Melhiser

Re: Momentary freeze

Postby Justin Melhiser » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 7:53AM

Ron
What are the specs on your computer and graphics card? This might have something to do with it.

Mark Fese

Postby Mark Fese » Wed, Mar 26 2008, 5:35PM

No problems here on my dell precision m70, yet when I create the jpeg save image it takes a few to get the window back to say done with no pause in the cursor, Mark.
Free Lance eCabinet Designers
ACD All Cabinet Design
www.acdallcabinetdesign.com

Ron Shultz

Postby Ron Shultz » Thu, Mar 27 2008, 7:20AM

I'm running a Dell Precision PWS390, 6700 @ 2.66 GHz, 3.5 gig of RAM, Nvidia Quadra FS 3500.

Ron

Justin Melhiser

Postby Justin Melhiser » Thu, Mar 27 2008, 7:22AM

Ron
What is the memory size of that graphics card?

Ron Shultz

Postby Ron Shultz » Fri, Mar 28 2008, 6:42AM

Justin,

It has 256 meg. The freeze lasts about 30 to 45 seconds when I press the presentation button. I have restarted the computer and that doesn't change anything. It doesn't seem to hurt anything, I just sit here till the cursor starts to move again.

Ron

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Postby DanEpps » Fri, Mar 28 2008, 7:16AM

Ron

Have you set virtual memory to a static size or is it configured to "let Windows decide?" I have an article dealing with configuring virtual memory for best performance in the eCabinets Tips & Tricks forum at eCabWorld.

Another thing you can check is to make certain that "Compress files to save disk space" is not turned on. Check this by opening My Computer then right-clicking on the C: drive and choosing Properties. On the same dialog is another option that can cause disk performance issues. The "Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching" will speed up searches for files but can slow performance when creating new files. I would say that a temporary file is created every time you click the Presentation View button. If you have a lot of files (>500,000) on the disk, this can slow creation of new files somewhat.

Disk indexing does not cause as great of a performance issue as does not having virtual memory set to a static size. I have about 800,000 files with indexing turned on and do not notice a siginificant decrease in performance when creating new files.

Defragmenting your disk drive on a regular schedule (I defrag weekly) can help performance significantly also. Keeping the disk cleaned of temorary files will also help performance.

Now, having said all of that, you will still experience some performance issues when creating the Presentation View if your room has lots of knobs/pulls and certain moldings (rope molding in particular). These items have tons of 3D coordinates and consume a lot of memory.

Ron Shultz

Postby Ron Shultz » Sat, Mar 29 2008, 11:03AM

Dan,

I defragged my hard drive and checked everything except the virtual memory as you recommended. When I click on the link to your tips it asks for me to log in. I have forgotten my password and when I click on "I forgot my password" link and give my email address I get a message saying, "Email address cannot be found"! AHHHH!!! :wall: But anyway, everything in eCab is back to running like it's supposed to now since I defragged. :beer:

Thanks for all the help!

Ron

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Postby DanEpps » Sat, Mar 29 2008, 12:45PM

I'm glad the defragging helped.

Sorry about you not being able to see the Tips & Tricks forum. I must have removed guest access when setting other permissions. I have changed it so you can get in now.

If your email address cannot be found then you haven't registered for the forum. There are two different sites requiring separate registration: http://www.eCabWorld.com and forum.eCabWorld.com. I have not gotten registration integrated between the sites yet and registering on one does not give access to the other.

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”