New User

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Audie Mays

New User

Post by Audie Mays »

Could someone help on these FIVE items?

I’m a new user and have spent 6 days in the “eCabinets System Made Easy – Learning the Software” tool. The tool is a great starter but I have been unable to answer the following: If these questions are addressed in the Forum just point me to that site.

ITEM 1 – Directories:
Accessible “Materials Directories” – how do you create “user” directories (either in the eCabinets Directory or Sub-Directory - or anywhere else) that are accessible by the eCabinets software? “eCabinets Systems Made Easy V5” software learning tool states:
Adding New Images for Surface Texture
Texture images are stored in eCabinets/materials/ under a series of directory names. Note, new directories under eCabinets/materials/ must be created using the eCabinet Systems software. If they are created in Windows, they will not be accessible through the software.

ITEM 2 – 3D image files
Is there a source for obtaining 3D images that are compatible with the eCabinet software? Pasting .jgps to Cubes is a good work around but I’m not a graphics designer and I don’t want to try to invent THAT wheel.

ITEM 3 – dxf file parts
I have been able to load 3D dxf (AutoCad) files into the “Line Drawing Editor” and I think I will eventually be able to place them in the line drawing of the Cabinet.

I would like to be able to take those same dxf cabinet parts to the “Cabinet/Assembly Editor” for presentation purposes. Is that possible – If so could you please give me a hint?

ITEM 4 – vertical (top to bottom) and front to back stringers – is that possible? I keep getting a "Parts not compatible" message.

ITEM 5 – can a stringer be mitered and/or installed at a angle?

Thanks - Audie Mays audiemays@bellsouth.net
Justin Melhiser

Re: New User

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Audie
Have you been in for any training over ecabinets? If not that is something you should try and come in for.
Justin Melhiser

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Audi

ITEM 1-ANSWER. When you open eCabinets, you need to go to settings and preferences. Inside here you will click on the button that says define stock materials. Then you will select your stock type; give it a name size and image. Click the ADD button and then the OK button. This will add your material to the data base.

ITEM 2-ANSWER. You can load them to the proper directory and when you create a material you can apply that image to the material. When you create a Cube out of that material it will have the image on it.

ITEM 3-ANSWER. The dxf file you load in the LDE (Line Drawing Editor) will load up if you have a cabinet loaded. If you want all sides of a cabinet to be in the LDE, when you click the LDE button it gives you the option to take the whole cabinet or assembly to the LDE. The dxf file cannot be loaded in the cabinet/ Assembly Editor.

ITEM 4-ANSWER. You can place a stretcher, (stringer), from the top to bottom on a cabinet. When you have your cabinet loaded up click on the Stretcher editor. Then you will click on the top and deck, then click add stretcher. Now for the front to back stretcher, if you are wanting the top of the cabinet to have a stretcher on the left and right, then you would click on the construction settings and under the top tab select web stretcher. Then give a width for the left and right. If you want them somewhere else in the cabinet you will have to use display parts and add them in.

ITEM 5-ANSWER. You will have to use display parts and apply the miter in the part editor. You will also have to rotate the part at the angle you want it.

I hope this will help you out. If you still have questions please feel free to give me a call. If you also have not had any training over eCabinet Systems, I highly recommend doing so.
Audie Mays

Post by Audie Mays »

Justin:

Thanks for your quick response.

I intend to take a class as soon as I know that I’m committed to the software.

I understand about adding materials to the database – what I want to know is how to add Directories that I can put different categories of materials into, IE Brick, Masonry, Stone Etc, Etc. that are created by eCabinets and accessible by eCabinets.

As I said before – the training program states that “new directories under eCabinets/materials/ must be created using the eCabinet Systems software” BUT THERE IS NO EXPLANATION ON HOW TO DO THAT.

Can you help?

Thanks,
Audie
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hey Audie, welcome to the forum. In settings/preferences click on define stock materials, then click select image, then click add image. From there you can add a jpeg or bitmap file. HTH
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

Hi Audie,
Lets see if I have read your question properly lol...
open Explorer and go to the ecabinets/materials directory.
Create a folder in there i.e. Bricks
NOW most important is you mut place a file in here. I just copy any image from another folder into this folder.
Go back to eCabinets, select settings- preferences yada yada yada..,.
when browsing for images you'll find your folder displayed.
This message made from recycled electrons.
Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Post by Michael Yeargain »

Audie,

A dxf file directly can only be imported into the LDE and the Shape manager.

However, as far as the 3d object is concerned; It must be converted into an "STL" file first. This can be done through a converter Here is a link to such.http://www.micromouse.ca/

This "STL" file can be imported into the "Display Part Editor" where you alter the apearance of this "STL" and save into a "HSF" which is of course the 3d file you import into the room as a display part.

Hope this helps.

And good luck.

Also there is a 3d section to this forum where you can download a few of the items created by other users.

http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=5
Intel Core i7-5820K (6-Cores, 3.3GHz, 15MB Cache)
32Gigs DDR4
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 4GB
SSD 840 256Gig, 2TB, 3TB, Samsung (2TB)
Corsair RM650
Audie Mays

Post by Audie Mays »

Rick, Glenn, Michael, Justin:

Thanks all:

I found the materials update, I created a new, eCabinets accessible directory with my materials in it, I have located the 3D files in this forum and I understand (in very gross terms) about the dxf file conversions.

Thanks so much for your quick turnaround.

Audie