Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 17

JohnJenkins

Postby JohnJenkins » Fri, Sep 02 2005, 8:25PM

Dave and Mike,

The \"Whiners\", so to speak, are starving, scared, homeless people. Who have just lost everything! What would you do? I agree, they had ample oppurtunity to get out of its path, but, when 40% of New Orleans population is poverty level there is not much they can do for themselves. As to Mike, No, I know something of that magnitude can't happen over night, but more progress (EFFORT) should have been set forth for those people sooner than 5 days after the storm. Furthermore, they knew how powerful the storm was and the path that it was taking, common sense should tell them to mobilize help IMMEDIATELY after the storm :evil:

David Norton
Guru Member
Company Name: Custom Trim and Millwork

Postby David Norton » Sat, Sep 03 2005, 8:32AM

What ever happened to mobilizing before the fact. It's not like the local, state, and federal govs didn't know what to expect. They had several days before the storm hit to act, but what was done?

How this is going to affect not only the U.S. but others as well , I shudder to image. Since I am just a one man show, I am already having to revaluate my situation. The price of materials is bound to skyrocket , I can't seriously believe that cabinetmakers will impact the wallets of the oil tycoons either. I suppose that only time will tell.

D.
Dave Norton

Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Re:

Postby Mike Bowers » Sat, Sep 03 2005, 2:40PM

JohnJenkins wrote:Dave and Mike,

The "Whiners", so to speak, are starving, scared, homeless people. Who have just lost everything! What would you do? I agree, they had ample oppurtunity to get out of its path, but, when 40% of New Orleans population is poverty level there is not much they can do for themselves. As to Mike, No, I know something of that magnitude can't happen over night, but more progress (EFFORT) should have been set forth for those people sooner than 5 days after the storm. Furthermore, they knew how powerful the storm was and the path that it was taking, common sense should tell them to mobilize help IMMEDIATELY after the storm :evil:
Chill out John, How can you get help in there if all the roads are under water? They started rescue after the storm passed. Plucking people from roofs, trees any place they saw them. I'm sure the goverment didn't expect total destruction of the area. Also it's hard to bring in food and water when aholes are shooting at the helos bringing it in. Hell, I wouldn't land either. The region is in total chaos, why are looters taking tv's when there is no power? I can see looting to find food & water, but come on! If a Cat 5 were to approach the Tampa Bay area, you bet I would leave in a heartbeat. My place would be about 16 to 25 ft under water, I live on a barrier island (Treasure Island) last years storms were scary enough, I had over 20k in damage & loss of product ready to deliver, by the way NO insurance to cover it. If you would like to see pics, I took plenty. So please don't insinuate that our goverment dragged there feet. If people can't help themselves by listening to weeks worth of warnings to get out instead of thinking our goverment will act promptly & will give them what they need to survive. Maybe next time they will listen :x
We love what we do, we do it well.

Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Postby Michael Yeargain » Sat, Sep 03 2005, 5:09PM

Hey guys, this is obviously a very touchy situation for us all. And to be slinging views as though we are politicians is not a manor to be proud of.

I'm sure, for those who are not looting out of greed but need, these undeserving people are not at all concerned about the effects that this catastrophy will have on their business. But the fact that this grave desaster has destroyed their lives and businesses as they know it. This has got to be a horrific event for anyone who has had any impact from this event.

The fact is I really don't care what type of impact good or bad this will have on my pocket. I can't help but to think about those people who were abandoned by their own political leaders... After all they left. I would have too. But not untill I have evacuated every one else too. Mandatory. And as far as those people who are poor and couldn't do antything, I would have rather gone through the expense of getting them out before the streets were flooded than after.

We seem to be pre-occupied with our own limited troubles. Why don't we ask ourselves what type of impact is this going to have on our pocket if we don't do something to help?

We are planning to send a truck load of vanities, base, and upper cabinets to aid in the rebuilding of the town. When the need arises untill then We are sending money. Chances are it may only be enough for three or four homes but.. we are doing something.

I can't say what I would feel if I were in their shoes. As I am not living next to a stinching corpes. :cry:

This is a nightmare.

And yea we will surely feel the economical impact of this but only for a season. I do not for one moment believe that we will be destroyed by it. I believe this will strengthen our body and economy in time.

For those who can wait out the storm that is.

Mike

Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Postby Mike Bowers » Sat, Sep 03 2005, 5:30PM

Mike ,
You have made some very valid points. If anyone wants to help, contact your local Red Cross and give generously. I'm sure there are local organizations that will accept food & water donations to aid the victims. At the present, water & food are the most manditory idems for survival....Mike

Dave Liggett

Postby Dave Liggett » Mon, Sep 05 2005, 9:04AM

Good points by many, I will keep my views to myself and focus on what I can do to help in any way. This forum is not the place for political discourse, I just get a little \"knee jerky\" sometimes. Now is not the time for finger pointing and laying on of blame. As to the poll, I am sure I will be impacted in many different ways but not to a permanent extent and of course nothing like those on the gulf coast.

Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Postby Nick M Singer » Mon, Sep 05 2005, 9:34AM

I think gas has a very bad effect on sales and consequently I advise my staff not to eat beans before seeing clients. But seriously folks you have no idea what expensive \"Petrol\" is! Here we pay R6.00 to the litre On an earnings parity basis about the equivalent of $7.6 to the gallon so cheer up.

Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Postby Mike Bowers » Wed, Sep 21 2005, 5:54PM

It's been 20 days since I started this poll, now we have Rita a Cat 5 eyeing Texas. What do you think, the old 1-2 punch? Since Katrina I had some board prices go up, not a major jump. P-lam also. ( same as the prior years ) Any thoughts?

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Postby DanEpps » Wed, Sep 21 2005, 6:44PM

I haven't seen any major price increases yet either but they are bound to come. On the news today they were predicting that gas could easily go to $5.00USD or more per gallon. Exxox, the largest refiner in the US has already shut down the refinery and evacuated employees. Since they must maintain their >$10 BILLION quarterly profit, guess who's going to pay.

Another side of the equation is the added cost to travel to and from the jobsite for installations. Those quick trips to the supply house for that forgotten drawer pull or hinge are out.

Consider too, now that cooler weather is finally approaching (it's still mid 90s here everyday), is the cost of heating oil and gas. I have 2 LP fireplaces and electric HVAC. I usually try to use the fireplaces to cut down electric heating cost in the winter but I'm not so sure that will work this winter.

I guess we'll just have to tighten the belt a little more although I'm about to choke now, mine is so tight already.

Dan

Imre Brassai

Re:

Postby Imre Brassai » Thu, Sep 22 2005, 10:18AM

DanEpps wrote:
I guess we'll just have to tighten the belt a little more although I'm about to choke now, mine is so tight already.

Dan
My belt snapped last week it was so tight, how am I supposed to tighten it anymore? Another consideration about the gas prices: It further weakens consumer confidence therefore my clients might be more apt to hold off on unnecesesary purchases. Higher gas prices filter into everything we buy and sell.
Also while not strictly a woodworking issue but what happened to copper prices? I bought a roll 12 ga wire to add some outlets and the roll cost $40.00. It seems that just a few years ago it would have been $20-25.00. I know my father always said be a warrior and not a worrier son, but I still worry sometimes.

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”