53%
No
47%

Total votes: 17

Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

The effects of Gas

Postby Mike Bowers » Thu, Sep 01 2005, 11:51AM

With the disaster left behind in the south by Katrina, the aftermath will effect all of us in U.S. perhaps all of North America. With New Orleans being one the largest shipping hubs in the U.S. supplying fuel, grain & all of our favorite items \" Lumber \". My point / question is this \"with gas going thru the roof & a major hub in shipping pretty much gone for now. Do you think lumber prices will rise to a point that the end user of our products, will put off doing there remodels at this point in time. There fore effecting our industry\"
We love what we do, we do it well.

Denis L'Heureux
Guru Member

Postby Denis L'Heureux » Thu, Sep 01 2005, 12:01PM

I voted no because, in Canada, the only thing that will increase the price of lumber industry is the direct relation with the price of gas. New Orleans will not have an impact on us directly.

Also, this increase on lumber might be a while coming yet and the price might have a chance to start going down again to a comfortable level.

I might be wrong but my Lord I hope not. :roll:

Cheers

Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Postby Mike Bowers » Thu, Sep 01 2005, 12:08PM

Thanks for your opinion, I hope your right also..

Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Postby Mike Bowers » Thu, Sep 01 2005, 12:49PM

The reason I asked is, after last years storms here in Fla. I have had an average increase across the board of about 25% to 30%. I didn't see any gas pumps with covers over the nozzles like I saw today. If you can't get gas, what's next. Believe me, what damage I had after Hurricane Jeanne last year compares nothing to what Katrina did. I hope all of you no votes are correct. Maybe I'm jumping the gun. Just my two cents..Mike

Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Postby Jason Susnjara » Thu, Sep 01 2005, 1:01PM

Mike,

I know that materials for building my house went up considerably just because of the war in Iraq and that was last year. I cannot image what the cost for materials would be now with gas prices going up and with the soon to be rebuilding of the southeast region.

Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Forrest Chapman » Thu, Sep 01 2005, 1:36PM

Hi All,

I hate to be the dooms day guy, but if you think about how much we depend on gas its really scary how badly it could impact us. Everything we use is shipped by trucks or train or plane useing gas......EVERYTHING! I have seen on the TV where a large relief convoy is stuck in Miss. out of fuel. I personaly am a little less worried about lumber.

Forrest

Jean G Voyer
Guru Member
Company Name: Janot Interiors Ltd

Postby Jean G Voyer » Thu, Sep 01 2005, 1:43PM

You going to hate me for this.
I vote no because here in Calgary when the gas goes up the business goes up. We are the oil capital of Canada and unfortunately every increase at the pump is a better for the city. As long those oil guys keep spending their money I can't complain. More dollars at the pump won't stop us.
But I feel for you guys. :oops:
Jean-Gabriel Voyer
Janot Interiors Ltd
www.customcabinetscalgary.com
Dell Precision PWS490, Intel Xeon CPU,3.00 GB Ram, Window XP Pro, Quadro Fx 3500

David Norton
Guru Member
Company Name: Custom Trim and Millwork

Postby David Norton » Thu, Sep 01 2005, 2:15PM

HAte to say it folks, but here in Tenn. I am already beginning to feel the pinch. We are located 80 mi. south of Nashville, where 99% of our work is.
Everything I do revolves around the price of gas. Before I simply sucked it up and kept on truckin. But now we may be forced to move closer to where we do the most business.

Before it has been more cost effective to live and work here in Hooterville,but the times they are a changin. Sadly enough!

D.
Dave Norton

JohnJenkins

Postby JohnJenkins » Thu, Sep 01 2005, 7:12PM

I voted No, not at this time, but it will have a ripple effect and I think it will take a little time to get to us, but who can afford it if gas gets over $4.00 a/gal :shock:. Here in Brunswick,GA the gas has went up nearly $.75 in just 24 hours! Also what truly upsets me is, the lethargic way the government has acted on this horrific disaster.

John Jenkins

Coastal Cabinetry & Millworks, Inc.

Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Postby Forrest Chapman » Thu, Sep 01 2005, 9:32PM

Hey John,

DIDO! There about as organized as my shop.

Forrest

PS. But with way more money.

Dave Liggett

Postby Dave Liggett » Thu, Sep 01 2005, 9:41PM

John,
What I am seeing is a whole lot of folks that won't accept resposibility for their own actions (inactions) Blaming the gov't for slow respsone is nuts. Watching the news I have only seen one interview where someone was mad at themseleves for not acting on their own behalf. I am sick of those who sit around expecting the gov't to take care of them. A sad commentary on our times. Certainly there are those that could not get out but these are not those I have seen on the news coverage. I feel empathy for those in greif, but sorry to say, these legit poeple have been overwhelmed by the whiners. :x :x

Michael Yeargain
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Timeless Cabinetry and Mantles

Postby Michael Yeargain » Fri, Sep 02 2005, 6:17AM

Just an opinion on this topic, But to answer the question. Very little. I do believe that whatever price the tycoons charge for the gas they will be paying a premium to get their own homes built. :wink: And we build cabinets. So for a small time this will effect our pocket. But I believe the money will be comming back to us.

However I do believe that the Mayor and Governer should take full responsability for their lack of action in this disaster. They were informed of the impending doom by the meteorologist. Their is no excuse for them. Why didn't they inact a manditory evacuation?

The levys where determined not to withstand the 4 or 5 hurricane they were in the direct path. They all knew this. The news was very specific in this. And the Mayor days later finally made the evacuation.

2 1/2 cents

Mike

Over 15 years ago I was given an idea how to make an automobile operate from Hydrogen and Oxygen. They still don't have any clue. I just don't want to be shot for the idea. After all it would destroy the gas tycoons. If I did have the money to build this concept car, I would. but I would go public as fast as I could to get the word out to as many people as possible.

Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Postby Mike Bowers » Fri, Sep 02 2005, 7:00AM

John & Forrest,
You seriously don't think an operation of this magnitude can happen over night? Dave was right in his remarks. But I won't go there, my opinion would upset alot of people. I'm the type of person that shoots from the hip, I call it like I see it.

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Postby DanEpps » Fri, Sep 02 2005, 7:45AM

I voted Yes because over the coming weeks, months and years; there will be a lot of building materials used to rebuild the destruction from Katrina. This will lead to a shortage of building materials thus increasing the prices. Just look at the price and availability of CDX plywood BEFORE a hurricane when everyone is boarding up. For anyone who has ever been to New Orleans, there is a lot of very high-end woodwork. Replacing that will take a lot of materials that we use to build cabinets.

Add to this the total shutdown of the largest port in the U.S. and the 5th largest port in the world and you have a recipe for price increases for everything comsumed in the U.S. Grain cannot be shipped from the midwest since more than 90% goes through New Orleans and that will affect not only U.S. farmers, but the price of grain globally. The increased global price of grain will in turn have an effect on goods produced in other countries for export (i.e. cabinet grade lumber).

Also, New Orleans is the ONLY U.S. port cabable of handling the super tankers bringing crude oil from other parts of the world (read OPEC). A majority of U.S. oil refineries are located in and around New Orleans and cannot operate without electricity which cannot be restored until the flooding can be stopped and the water pumped out of the city.

All in all, this disaster affects everyone--worldwide!

Regardless of whether the government could immediately step in with food and water, recovering from a disaster of this magnitude will take a very long time. Be prepared to pay for it for quite a while through not only higher gas prices, but higer prices for everything.

Dan

Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Re:

Postby Mike Bowers » Fri, Sep 02 2005, 7:48AM

DanEpps wrote:I voted Yes because over the coming weeks, months and years; there will be a lot of building materials used to rebuild the destruction from Katrina. This will lead to a shortage of building materials thus increasing the prices. Just look at the price and availability of CDX plywood BEFORE a hurricane when everyone is boarding up. For anyone who has ever been to New Orleans, there is a lot of very high-end woodwork. Replacing that will take a lot of materials that we use to build cabinets.

Add to this the total shutdown of the largest port in the U.S. and the 5th largest port in the world and you have a recipe for price increases for everything comsumed in the U.S. Grain cannot be shipped from the midwest since more than 90% goes through New Orleans and that will affect not only U.S. farmers, but the price of grain globally. The increased global price of grain will in turn have an effect on goods produced in other countries for export (i.e. cabinet grade lumber).

Also, New Orleans is the ONLY U.S. port cabable of handling the super tankers bringing crude oil from other parts of the world (read OPEC). A majority of U.S. oil refineries are located in and around New Orleans and cannot operate without electricity which cannot be restored until the flooding can be stopped and the water pumped out of the city.

All in all, this disaster affects everyone--worldwide!

Regardless of whether the government could immediately step in with food and water, recovering from a disaster of this magnitude will take a very long time. Be prepared to pay for it for quite a while through not only higher gas prices, but higer prices for everything.

Dan
Well said Dan

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”