Dado-tenon quirk?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Terry Davis
Company Name: Penn Laminates

Dado-tenon quirk?

Post by Terry Davis »

When I bring a cabinet into an assembly and resize it the tenons are coming out exactly the same size as the dado and the parts will not fit together, I have attached a photo.
Attachments
IMG_3367.JPG
IMG_3367.JPG (20.91 KiB) Viewed 7803 times
Todd Miller

Re: Dado-tenon quirk?

Post by Todd Miller »

Terry,
You may want to post the .esa (assembly) file for us to look at. And let us know which cabinet you resized.
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

Here are the requested files.
Attachments
Hazlett_kit.zip
(1.52 MiB) Downloaded 233 times
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Terry,
Do you know which cabinet(s) was giving you the tennon problems?
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

Wall cabinets only...
Justin Melhiser

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Terry
What version of Control Nest are you running?
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

Version 5.38
Justin Melhiser

Terry
I need step by step what you are doing from the start to finish.
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

Most of our jobs are commercial so we don't need to draw any room layouts or presentation views, so what I have been doing is starting with a seed cabinet and making my changes. Then I will also load in what ever other cabinets I need and make changes to them, when I'm done I save the job as an assembly so that they are all on one page instead of making a new directory with many separate cabinets, as in the screen capture below.
Attachments
example.jpg
example.jpg (38.12 KiB) Viewed 7566 times
Justin Melhiser

Terry
I will need the cabinet that you started with for the upper cabinets. Then I will need to know what the settings were for the cabinet before you made changes to it. I also want to know what the new settings are for the cabinet as well as anything you changed on that cabinet. I need to be able to reporduce this. So far I can not. This is why I need any and all information about this assembly/job.
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

Wow, thats alot of settings, the 4 wall cabinets in the esj. file I sent you all started out as a 30 x 30 x 12 wall cabinet. All that I did was change the heights, widths and added another door to the shorter one and made all the floors flush to the backs because they are not getting laminated it is a melamine kitchen for a camp. The only thing I can find that makes this happen is saving it as an assembly, I have since done another job and saved each cabinet individually and this does not happen.
Right now we are trying to figure out a different snafu, we did a 32 sheet (3/4" woodgrain) melamine nest, 18 identical audio carts, 7 flip ops would not scan in or be accepted manually,we had to cut off the tenons with a hand router, the flip ops for all the decks and backs were reversed, and even though the material had grain and was drawn correctly with grain 6 parts nested and cut the wrong way. The job took 15-20 minutes to nest and control nesting froze twice while trying to nest it.
Justin Melhiser

Terry
The best way to save these cabinets is separately. You said that you didn’t need a room layout to place all of the cabinets in. If you want to nest them all together you should go to the batch items area and select each cabinet and add to the batch. The programmers are looking at your file to see what might have caused this issue with the dados. I will let you know as soon as I hear something from them.
Terry Davis

Post by Terry Davis »

Thanks Justin, we figured out yesterdays problem, we used the select sheet option in control nesting so we could stop the job if need be,and we did because we ran out of board. When we first started the job we scanned in 2 pieces of off fall and something we were never told was if you do this when you re-nest the job after stopping and use the select sheet option control nesting does not see the off falls again and all your previous barcodes for the flip ops will be wrong. There should be a warning that pops up somewhere that if your going to use the select sheet option do not start a job with off falls!
Justin Melhiser

Terry
I sent your last post to the programmers. maybe they can get a wrning to pop up somewhere for the sheet selection and off falls.