cutting doors in part editor

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Al dedenus
Guru Member
Company Name: Creative Kitchens and Interior

cutting doors in part editor

Post by Al dedenus »

I have two pairs of glass doors side by side and want to plot a three point curve over the top of all four.Only problem is I can only send one door at a time to P.E. and cant get an even curve through all four.I placed a display panel over the top of them, that had the curve I wanted, to get the illusion of the curve throught the doors.Thats all this Kiwi can think of.Any suggestions.possibly next version will let us edit more than one item at a time?? :wall:
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: cutting doors in part editor

Post by DanEpps »

That's an interesting challenge Al. I don't know that this will give you what you want but its worth a try.

Create a display panel with the overall dimensions of all four doors. Layout the three-point arc on it and save the geometry.

Now place a vertical line on the geometry located at the edge of the first door's width. Trim the portion of the line that extends past that "door" and save the geometry as something like "Door 1."

Clear the geometry and load the original geometry back into the Part Editor. Now place two vertical lines located at the left and right edges of the second door's width. Trim the lines outside those vertical lines and save the geometry.

Clear the geometry and reload the original again. This time place the two vertical lines where the third door is located and trim.

Repeat for the fourth door (one vertical line this time, just like the first door).

Exit the Part Editor and delete the display panel. Load the first door into the Part Editor then load the geometry you saved earlier. Make your cuts and return to the Cabinet Editor. Bring the second door into the Part Editor and load the geometry for it. Make your cuts and return to the Cabinet Editor.

Repeat for the third and fourth doors and you should have a smooth curve across all four doors. :beer:
Al dedenus
Guru Member

Post by Al dedenus »

Thanks Dan,it worked a treat,took a bit of time but would never have thought of doing it that way.! thanks again :D
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

Another great example of Dan thinking outside the square....or should that be outside the arch lol
This message made from recycled electrons.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Glenn Van Reason wrote:Another great example of Dan thinking outside the square....or should that be outside the arch lol
That's the only way I've ever been able to think Glenn. :joker:
Al dedenus
Guru Member

Post by Al dedenus »

In another couple of years I might start thinking like that too !! :roll: