Rough Cut Panels(Beware of math below)

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Eric Cathell

Rough Cut Panels(Beware of math below)

Post by Eric Cathell »

I am trying to get my workflow going with eCabinets. I am planning on rough cutting panels, then finish them on my tablesaw or with a router. In order to do this I am trying to leave about a 1/4" waste on each side of the panel for cleanup(eventually maybe only 1/8th). In order for the nesting diagrams to be accurate should I set my kerf to 1/2" So that adjoining pieces will have their own 1/4"? Also since the nesting diagram shows me the cutline but not the dimensions for the cutline, I would need to add the 1/4" to each cut right? Sorry if this is a n00b question, but I am a one man show and I dont have anyone to knock ideas off of, except in the forums.
If you can't build it, Code it.
if you can't code it, Build it.
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Re: Rough Cut Panels(Beware of math below)

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Eric,

Welcome to the forum. This is going to depend on how many sides you will cut with a saw. If you are going to cut on all 4 sides of a part, then you will need to take the saw kerf (example .125") and multiply that by 2 which will equal .25". Then you will need to add .25 to each panel so your total would be saw kerf x 2 + .5" = .75". Is there a reason why you would like to leave .25" on each side of panel only to finish them on a saw or router? If using a router, there is a setting for "additional part clearance" that would need to be used. I am not an expert at cabinetry so if I have this wrong, hopefully someone will point that out. :)
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

Eric, are you cutting these panels on a router or are you using a dimension saw? If you are not using a router you may want to print a cut list and cut your parts off of that instead of the nest diagram. 8)
Eric Cathell

Post by Eric Cathell »

Yea I am hand cutting them with a circular saw and guide. Thats why I need to leave a little on to clean up afterwards. The router I am speaking of is a hand held router with a flush trim bit. I would clamp a mdf straightedge and trim the edges to the final width.
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

I suggest you use the cut list and not the nest diagram. The nest diagram is optimized and works real well with a CNC macnine but, I think, it would be much faster to simply use the cut list. You will not be optimizing your material but you will save a ton of time. I know that material costs are important and we need to get the best yield we can but in my shop time (labor) costs much more than material. I am always looking to make a process simpler and faster even if it takes a little more material but there is a balance. Do what works best for you. Hope this helps. 8)
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Sounds like if you are at all serious abbout this businesss that you need to look into production sharing, or at least a decent table saw.If your using e-cabs for design, your not to far off from having a drawing ready for production sharing..
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Eric Cathell

Post by Eric Cathell »

Michael S Murray wrote:Sounds like if you are at all serious abbout this businesss that you need to look into production sharing, or at least a decent table saw.If your using e-cabs for design, your not to far off from having a drawing ready for production sharing..
That will definately be an option once things pickup and I am more production than hobby/consignment.

So I guess what I will do is take the nesting diagram, and use that as my optimization, but use the cutlist from excel and add my additional needed measurements. Cool. Thanks all.