Need an angled lower!

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Brian Bauer
Guru Member

Need an angled lower!

Post by Brian Bauer »

hello all,

Been too long since I last did an angled base cab,anybody have a 34.5" tall 24 deep on the left hand side 12" wide at the rear,that tapers to zero at the right wall side?
I could go out and build it faster but those pesky clients want to see it first.
Any help on a sunday would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Brian
Wood is wood , Particle Board is just dust !
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Need an angled lower!

Post by Damon Nabors »

Brian, is this what you are looking for? If so, you have to delete the right front and change the right back dimension to narrow it to the 12" you are looking for.
Attachments
angled base.jpg
angled base.jpg (152.7 KiB) Viewed 9766 times
Damon Nabors
Brian Bauer
Guru Member

Post by Brian Bauer »

Damon , Close but the angle needs to run from the back to the front the opposite of what you sent.
I wish they had an angle cabinet set up in standard cabinets,It would eb much easier and so much less stressful.
Brian
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Brian, that one is actually easier. Open your cabinet and go to the construction settings and you will see a box on the bottom right that says "angle part" . Click the box and you will need to drop down the top and click right side follows back, then do the same for the deck and toe kick. Then you will need to inset the right side how ever much you want. ( 23.25" ) and then you can place a negative inset on the top and deck of .75" and your cabinet will come out the way you want it.
Damon Nabors
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Brian, one other thing, make sure you check mark to miter it also.

The toe kick for some reason doesn't work properly, it will be too long, but for display purposes it will be ok.
Attachments
angle 2.jpg
angle 2.jpg (13.79 KiB) Viewed 9697 times
Damon Nabors
Brian Bauer
Guru Member

Post by Brian Bauer »

Thanks Damon thats exactly what I needed.

Brian
Brian Bauer
Guru Member

Post by Brian Bauer »

Damon seems easier said than done, I have tried but it is proving to be a tad difficult :wall:
These boxes for input are not as friendly as I had hoped they would be.nothing seems to angle just square parts are being showed.
Brian
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Pull up your cabinet, then go to construction settings and on the lower right corner you will see the angle part box. Click there and you will see a drop down menu.

Top- check right front follows side
check right front miter

Deck check right front follows side
check right front miter

toe kick check right front follows side
check right front miter

Now you need to go to the Right side gable and put a 23.25" front inset. (the angle parts will not work untill you inset the right side )
Now go to the Top and place a .75" Right inset
and do the same for the deck.

you will have the cabinet you want now.
Damon Nabors
Brian Bauer
Guru Member

Post by Brian Bauer »

Ok , Here it is but it sure don't look the same.
Maybe someone with a little distance can see what these tired eyes can't see.
angle concept.esj
(294.02 KiB) Downloaded 362 times
Brian Bauer
Guru Member

Post by Brian Bauer »

OK what the heck gives here,
If I turn off full dado it works fine,So I can't have a dadoed part to get an angled cabinet?
Is this subliminal evolution happening to get us all to switch to frameless cabinetry? :roll:

One more silly question how does the face frame get moved to the new front to this angled little devil?

totally confused now,But wait I'm the owner, Brian :shock:
Dan Voges

Post by Dan Voges »

Alright,

Is this what your after??
angled base.JPG
angled base.JPG (24.75 KiB) Viewed 9477 times
What I did to create it:

I used your cabinet that you had to make these changes.

The first thing I did to get the full dado on the left side, I had to change it to a blind dado, then go into the construction parameters, changed it to 100% thickness, and then put the placements on the left front and left back to 0". This then gave me the angled front while also being fully dadoed into the left side. I don't have a reason why it won't do this as a full dado, but it works as a blind dado. I'm also not sure why the right inset on the top an deck was needed, :? so I removed those to simplify things (and to make it less confusing). It also helped the toe kick to follow the front on the deck better.

To get the face frame on required a little more work; I had to use two cabinets. For the angled one, I removed the face frame and then measured across the angle to determine how long the second cabinet should be (One thing I failed to do with this angled cabinet is to take 3/4" off of the depth to allow the face frame of the cabinet next to it to overhang this cabinet. It's something that can easily be done). I then brought in a second cabinet (STD Base Framless), changed to the width to the previously measured distance, PLUS added to the width to allow enough room for mitering of the face frame (i added 3/8, which was a guess). Then I went into the construction settings, added the face frame, then went through the process of removing the top, removing the left and right ends, removing the back, removing the toe kick (which when you do remove it, make sure the height is set to 4" matching the other cabinet), and removing the deck. When you click OK, this will leave you with just the face frame. Once at this stage, I had to change the height of the cabinet (the one with just the face frame) to 33" (since there is no deck with no bottom inset, It made it 1.5" longer than what it needed to be) and then rotated it to the angle that matched my angled cabinet. (To find the angle, it is s guessing game. For this cabinet example, I rotated it 64.75 degrees). Once rotated, I uses my alignment too and VOILA!!! We have a angeled cabinet with a face frame!! 8)

Now since this is two cabinets that make one, you have to save them as an assembly. I've also Included the assembly so you can look at it as well. If you have any questions about what I described, just send me an email or give me a call, my extension is 337. Hope this helps!

Good luck!
Attachments
Angled Base.jpg
Angled Base.jpg (7.08 KiB) Viewed 9575 times
Angled Base.esa
(306.02 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Brian Bauer
Guru Member

Post by Brian Bauer »

Thanks Dan,
I got that one down now.
But is it possible to have say a 48" long cabinet with 32.5 degrees cut off one end from back to front,so when two cabinets are put together in a corner their face frames meet at a miter? I have a whole job of these, a whole kitchen anyways. Can it be done with offsets or do i need to spend a week in the part editor to get these done?

Thanks for the other Cab too it will help to see the settings:)

Is there any plans for an angled cabinet in the standard cabinets anytime soon? Not the corner cabinet but a linear cabinet withan angle in either or both ends,or is that what the corner cabinet is for?

Thanks Brian
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael S Murray »

Havent read entirely through this post, but what we need is a good outside corner cabinet seed. One where the ends can be set at an angle, wider at the front than at the back. I run in to this all the time and no one has been able to come up with anything easy to change angle;s resize and or machine..(Inside corners can be dealt with in several ways, outside corners need some attention.
Thanks
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
Brian Bauer
Guru Member

Post by Brian Bauer »

Mike,
True that,
we need angle cabinetry in general,seed cabs. There are many different combinations,but a few with easy parametric adjustables would be nice not like the corner cab. A wish list item,as I would not want to have to machine this next job with all the mters and angles involved.
Brian
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Brian Bauer wrote:hello all,

Been too long since I last did an angled base cab,anybody have a 34.5" tall 24 deep on the left hand side 12" wide at the rear,that tapers to zero at the right wall side?
I could go out and build it faster but those pesky clients want to see it first.
Any help on a sunday would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Brian
Dan, the reason for the top and deck inset are to achieve what was asked for in the original post. If I read it correctly, he wanted the right wall side to taper to zero.
Damon Nabors