5.2 Crashing

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark Sams

5.2 Crashing

Post by Mark Sams »

I've had problems since I updated to 5.2. It crashes at several different stages in the design. It crashes while working in the cabinet editor as well as the room editor. The latest crash happened while I was in the Face Frame section of the cabinet editor. I highlighted each frame piece, went to page two of the construction settings, changed the wood type and hit OK. It crashed while trying to go back to the main page. This happens consistantly. It is also running MUCH slower than any version before.

Is there a way I can revert to v 5.1 until the bugs are worked out so it doesn't stop our production or is there a known fix for this problem? THANKS
Justin Melhiser

Re: 5.2 Crashing

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Mark
What are your computer specs? I will also want to know the type and size of your graphics card. Is this running on Windows Vista?
Mark Sams

Post by Mark Sams »

Justin:

I'm using an Acer Laptop with Centrino Mobile Technology, Intel Pentium 1.8. It has 1 Gb ram. The graphic card is a Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset. Obviously it is the one built into the laptop. Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2.

This version is crashing at several different places in the design process. Version has always run flawlessly.
Mark Sams

Post by Mark Sams »

Version 5.1 and previous has always run flawlessly.
Justin Melhiser

Mark
I would try and run a repair and see if this helps. You can run the repair from the ecabinet systems cd. If you put it in your cd rom and run it like you were going to install the software, it will prompt you to modify repair or remove, pick repair and see if that helps.
DarrelMWood

Post by DarrelMWood »

Justin-----I'm having similar problems with 5.2. My laptop was designed using the eCabs suggested configuration. The only CD I have is the 5.0 CD....is the correct repair program on that (I'm thinking probably not?) I downloaded the last two updates.

(I'm running Windows XP, 2 gigs of RAM, 120gig hard drive NVidia GeForce 8600M GT display adapter, Pentium Core2 Duo, 2.4GHz). It's usually freezing up in the custom layout section, but at different times.....sometimes when I go to save.
Justin Melhiser

Mark
I wanted to check and see if you have had any luck with this yet?

Darrel
I would back up all your files from eCabinet Systems, then you can run the update again and remove it. Then try to put it on your computer again. Let me know if this helps. If it does not you might need to remove the program and then reinstall it.
Mark Sams

Post by Mark Sams »

Justin:

I've had so much that I needed to get done that I have not tried reinstalling 5.2. I did a restore to 5.1 so I could get the work done that had to get out the door. I will try that and see if it helps. I'll let you know.

Mark
Justin Melhiser

Mark and Darrel
We will need a reproducable crash scenario to determine what is causing this. If we can not reproduce this then we won't know where to look for any issues. If you guys can narrow down to certain steps that will make the program crash then we will have something to work with.
DarrelMWood

Post by DarrelMWood »

I un-installed and reinstalled the update and the freezing is still occurring. It's also happening my desktop computer. I've played a little with other, older jobs and it's not doing it, so I think it's some glitch in that specific job. I'm taking the individual cabs and assemblies and re-installing them in a new job file to see what happens. Some of the cabs in the first job were placed in the custom layout, then taken back into the cab editor and finishes were changed, and some handles, and such. This time around I'm finalizing the cabinet specifics before they're placed into the custom layout and see if that changes things.
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Darrel,

If you can post that job and some steps to create a crash, that could be helpful for us in determining the cause. Please post it if you can.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

I am getting two recurrent crashes in 5.2. One occurs if I press the render icon once I have drawn the walls of a room and the other occurs in the counter top editor if I try to edit an existing top.
Walker T Scott

Post by Walker T Scott »

Nick

How many walls are you creating? What are their dimensions like how thick and tall are they? Do you place any thing in the room before you render it? Are any of these crashes from an existing job if so could you post it? Do you mean that you select any existing countertop from any job and in the countertop editor then you press edit countertop and it crashes?
Thanks
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

So many questions Walker... so many questions!!! The particular drawing I did only had 2 walls approx 2700mm high 150mm thick, no other items were in the room, It was a new Job. Where the countertop editor is concerned it happens when I have just created a top and then try to edit it by clicking on the EDIT COUNTERTOP button
Mark Sams

Post by Mark Sams »

I've reinstalled 5.2. The reinstall has helped. It does not seem to be crashing like it did. I was reading the posts and read that someone had a problem when he hit the render button. That was also one of the times I was having a problem with 5.2 crashing. I don't think reinstalling 5.2 fixed 100% of the crashing problems, but it is much better then it was.