Rotate Part in Part editor

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gregory Hairston

Rotate Part in Part editor

Post by Gregory Hairston »

I have been trying to get the rotate part on an axis to work with a diplay object loaded into the part editor. I have downloaded items from OSBORNE and they are not on the proper axis.. The manual says rotate is done with the right mouse button. I have not been able to get it to do anything. Please help.

Greg
Successful people do the things others won't
Pete Riddle

Re: Rotate Part in Part editor

Post by Pete Riddle »

Gregory,

I think you are confused with the Cabinet Editor. You cannot rotate parts in the Part editor other than the Front or Back view. You can rotate parts in the Cabinet Editor.
Scott G Vaal
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Scott G Vaal »

Greg,

The move and rotate functions in the Display Part Editor will only work for added peices and do not function on the 1st part loaded into the scene (which is considered the anchor part). So, if you load another stl/hsf in, you will be able to select it and do these operations to it. However, you will not be able to delete the anchor part from the scene.

I think I know what you are after, and a little trick you can do is to load the objects into a Custom layout, use Rotate Object to get it to how you want it, select the part and do an Export Selection from the main file menu. Now load this exported .hsf into the Display Part Editor and I think you will have what you need. Texture it and save it as a master file for the object. Hope this helps.
Regards,

Scott Vaal
-Thermwood/eCabinet Systems-
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM /NVIDIA Quadro K2000
Gregory Hairston

Post by Gregory Hairston »

Scott,
Thanks for the solution. You are correct that is what I needed. Thus far I would have to take the file to turbo Cad and rotated it then bring it into the part editor. Too many steps.

Pete,
Thanks for your reply but in the help menu it says you can move parts on their x and y axis and rotate them. Maybe the help menu needs to be revised. Scott's explanation made sense but there is no mention of that in the manual. I could be wrong but that is my understanding.

Greg
Successful people do the things others won't
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Scott,
I constantly learn new things in this forum.
I never tried the work-around you mentioned, but I am certain this will come in handy when frustration rears its ugly head in the part editor.
Many thanks for the tip,