Display But Not Cut A Panel

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

leigh mills

Display But Not Cut A Panel

Post by leigh mills »

Hi Guys

I need some ideas! I have a cabinet which needs an extra side panel displayed, I also want this extra side panel to display on the cut list but I dont want it to be cut on the machine. It needs to be resizable really so that we dont keep having to create a new one each time.

The reason for me doing this is because we cut this part by hand as it cant be cut on the route and I would like to display the part in ecabinet for the customer presentation, but it needs to come on the cut list so the shop floor are aware that its needed.

Does any body have any suggestion on how I can do this?

Thanks,

Leigh Mills
Paul Ellis

Re: Display But Not Cut A Panel

Post by Paul Ellis »

Leigh,
create a material called 'cut_by_hand'. Take a standard cabinet and delete all but one side. Change the material to your 'cut_by_hand' material. Resize as needed. Save this cabinet and use where needed. When nesting you can filter this out as needed. HTH
Paul
Paul Ellis

"If it works, don't fix it"
leigh mills

Post by leigh mills »

That is excellent Paul thanks for the advice
leigh mills

Post by leigh mills »

I haven't used the machine yet so I am not sure of what will happen, could you tell me how the operator will stop this from being cut? As it displays on the nest.

Thanks
Justin Melhiser

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Leigh
When you load the twd file in Control nest, it will have a filter system where all the parts will be checked to be cut. you will have to find the part listed "cut by hand" and click on the box with a check mark in it. This will now keep the part from being nested and cut out on the machine.
leigh mills

Post by leigh mills »

great stuff thank you
Brad McIntosh
Guru Member
Company Name: CNC Automation

Post by Brad McIntosh »

Leigh,

Besides the filtering method suggested above, you can also "automate" the process by defining the SHEET MATERIAL size as 1" x 1" (or similar very small size). Again, the part will show up on the cut list, so I usually use a name that properly describes the material but I tack on something like NO-CNC at the end just make it clear to those referring to the list .

When you process the TWD with Control Nesting, you don't even have to filter the parts out. Control Nesting will automatically give you a *WARNING* that the sheet material is not large enough to nest the associated component(s). You just have to acknowledge the warning and Control Nesting will skip those affected parts and continue with the rest of the process.

This method is good for ANY "No-Cut-On-CNC" materials, such as glass, marble, etc... You never have to worry about not filtering these "never-cut" parts because Control Nesting will do it automatically! :D

Hope this helps...
Brad McIntosh
CNC Automation

Home: http://www.cncautomation.com
Twitter: @bmcncautomation
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

That is Brilliant Brad. Very good Idea.

Kerry
leigh mills

Post by leigh mills »

Thanks and yes this method seems very good but will it not affect the pricing?