seating help

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mark Taylor
Guru Member

seating help

Post by Mark Taylor »

We have a customer were building seating in their new theatre...the architect has designed simple settee type seating around the perimeter of the room. The interior designer does not want flat plywood seats for the cushions. Has anyone created built-in seating with an open seat and some type of strapping or webbing for the cushions instead of a simple plywood surface? I could use any ideas, photos, web links - etc. - you might have to help me with this one.

Thanks
Mark
Al dedenus
Guru Member
Company Name: Creative Kitchens and Interior

Re: seating help

Post by Al dedenus »

We used to make lots of dining furniture and chairs.There are plenty of options.The most popular here is webbing which your upholsterer will have.comes in rolls that you stretch and staple to an outer frame front to back and side to side.It does ,however "sag" after a few years.The next option is zig-zag steel webbing which once again comes in a roll.Its fixed front to back,with clips that are fixed to the front and back rails of the frame.The other option is a "five point suspension system which is a series of springs conected together (various sizes available)I'm sure all the above are available over there.For photos check out artia.com.au or you could pay for me to come over and make them for you :lol:
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

We build our chairs with 2" wide webbing ,Criss Crossed ,then covered with upholstery foam and then the fabric of your choice.I reccommend Getting a professional upholster involved . By the time the webbing sags they will need to redo the upholstery
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Mark Taylor
Guru Member

Post by Mark Taylor »

thanks for the suggestions...I have asked her to consult an upholstery person - that makes the most sense to me!

Mark