Measuring A Radius

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Measuring A Radius

Post by Gary Puckett »

Where do you measure what a radius is? In the line editor I don't see anything that will let you dim. a Rad.
Also how can you set a new X0 Y0 start point so you have more control in making a cut out in a peace?

For instance you have a panel or board and you want to arch the bottom, and you want the arch to start 3" in from one end and you want it to end 3" from the other end, and the center of the arch to be 3" up from the bottom.( These numbers are just a for instance)

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Dennis Englert

Re: Measuring A Radius

Post by Dennis Englert »

Though not really intended to be a dimensioning tool, the Constraint Manager lets you dimension and change the radius of an arc. You can check your dimension, then remove the dimension to remove the constraint, unless the constraint is desired.
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Post by Gary Puckett »

My mantel is a assembly and CM won't let me in.

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Gary,
Awhile back someone posted the attached file. It provides the trig algorythms to determine the arc information you are wanting in several ways.

If you enter the chord length and height at the top of the spreadsheet and blank out the arc length and arc radius you should get your result. For example, a chord length of 18 and arc height of 3 returns a radius value of 15 or 381mm.

I think this will be the quickest and easiest way to determine it. The author also provided the actual formulas.

Thanks to the publisher of this formula. I hope it helps you.

Regarding your previous post about the Labor Costs for an Assy. I played some more this morning and ended up with several problems, so I passed it onto Todd Miller in support.

I found that the the panel is processed with a cabinet (deleted) and saved as an assembly, it will error when placed in a batch or custom layout. In another method I tried to associate the part with the cabinet, deleted the cabinet, and then saved it. I brought it into a batch with no problem and I also brought it into a room. I couldn't see it in the room. Both the batch and the room layout did show the cost data though. I had another thought on getting the pricing and that would be to assign the cost to a display object in the display part editor, then place that object (mirror, vase, or whatever) with the mantel either positioned so as to be hidden or as a feature of the mantel. You should then see the cost of the mantel for the display object.

As I said, I passed on the the info to Todd to research the issues that I was coming across.

Good luck with the formulas and thanks to the original publisher.

Dennis
Attachments
archchrt.xls
(21.5 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

Gary, there is a great chart for figuring radiuses at http://www.curvedmouldings.com/download/archchrt.xls. Check it out 8)