Quad Core or Core 2 Duo?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jason Rains

Quad Core or Core 2 Duo?

Postby Jason Rains » Thu, Jul 17 2008, 11:30AM

Many new workstation computers are offering Quad Core processors. Does Ecabs benefit at all from a quad core? More important, does it hurt the program (slow it down, etc.)? I have not been able to find any topics on this issue thus far.
Thanks

Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re: Quad Core or Core 2 Duo?

Postby Dean Fehribach » Thu, Jul 17 2008, 2:04PM

Jason,

The eCabinet Systems (eCS) web site has a recommended computer system page. In it, there is a note that states:
Note: The eCabinet Systems software does not benefit from multi-processor or multi-core processor systems.
Multiple processor cores does not adversely affect eCS, but they don't help, either.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64

Jason Rains

Postby Jason Rains » Thu, Jul 17 2008, 4:14PM

Thanks Dean, I wanted to be sure I did not buy something that would hurt me.

Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Postby Will Williamson » Fri, Jul 18 2008, 12:54PM

My computer tech told me that you could setup e cab to run on one core and operating system to run on the other and this would be an advantage .
Dean
I have been forwarding him your posts reguarding these subjects and specificstions for new systemas we are in the process of building a new system .I notice that he has the same title as your self I. S. manager ever what that means
Thanks Will
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Postby Neville Bastian » Fri, Jul 18 2008, 10:18PM

Hi Will,
We have recently set-up Ecabinets on a quad core with a single WD Raptor 10,000 rpm and she does sing like a bird.
The cost of the quad cores are pretty cheap being about $100 more than a core 2.
I think we all have a lot of programs fighting for use of the cpu such as virus checkers, operating system,outlook and Messenger/Skype type programs. To me Ecabinets is a bit of a spoilt child. It doesn't like sharing anything. Full stop.

If Dean can find the time and resources he should have a good play with a mid range quad Duo core and the top of the range Core 2 Duo and prove who is right here. I'd be interested if he could play around with std hard disks and high rpm disks also. Then the ultimate 2 and 4 raid disks configuration. I'm sure Thermwoods computer supplier could lend some gear for the trial.

Are you up to it Dean?

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia

Return to “eCabinet Systems Software”