Materials

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

leigh mills

Materials

Post by leigh mills »

Hi guys

I think I may have run into a problem with the materials that I have created. We are currently using around 6 different materials then we fininsh the material off with a film after cutting. So some of our materials are like so:

Raw/Raw MDF 18mm
Raw/Beech MDF 18mm
MDF 18mm

So for me to get the colours in the room layout I have created all of the materials with the name of the coulour followed like so:

Raw/Raw - White Ash
Raw/Raw - Birch
Raw/Raw - Elm
Raw/Raw - Antique Oak

So my problem that I'm facing is will each of these have to be entered before running the nest. I would really like to just enter the Raw/Raw Mdf 18mm and Raw/Beech Mdf 18mm but will this give me error when trying to run a job that has used a material in eCabinet to get a colour such as Raw/Raw - White Ash.

Can someone let me know if I'm going to get an error if I dont enter all the materials with the colours, If I am going to get an error is there a way around this.

Thanks,

Leigh
Daniel Vonderheide
Thermwood Team

Re: Materials

Post by Daniel Vonderheide »

The Control Nesting software on the controller will sort the parts by their material and nest these parts in the material. So if you have 4 materials in the job, it will nest the parts assumming that you are going to use 4 different types of material. Once it is nested and the cnc file is written, the machine tells you what material should be loaded onto the table but doesn't really know what material you load. The downside of this is you loose yield because it seperates the parts and you may end up having a sheet that only has 3 parts nested on it because they are the only parts made out of that material.
leigh mills

Post by leigh mills »

Ok so what your saying is if I am cutting from a material of say "Raw/Beech 18mm MDF" but in eCabinets I need to be able to attach colours so I would name it "Raw/Beech Amati 18mm MDF" so this is actually the same material but it shows its finished colour.

So some parts in this cabinet such as the back will satay "Raw/Beech 18mm MDF" as this doesnt need changing for customer eye but then the door and so on will change to "Raw/Beech Amati 18mm MDF".

So is this going to give me two seperate sheets when wrighting the CNC? It is actually the same material but this is the only way I could of creating this material as I need to show the colour.

Thanks,

Leigh
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

Yes. A way to keep the material in the same sheet is to take your cabinet into cabinet editor and add a display panel with the desired texture. Then you can highlight a part on the cabinet, match the texture to the display panel, then delete the display panle. This keeps all the parts made of the correct material but for your customer it will show the variety of textures you need for a realistic presentation. Hope this helps. 8)
leigh mills

Post by leigh mills »

This wont work this way as you can only match a material for the cabinet accross to the display panel and not the display panel to the cabinet. The only way I can find around this is to do a change materials when in the room layout, after the presentation has finished and then return to the cutting material.

If anybody has any other methods.

Thanks,

Leigh
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

Leigh, you can do what I suggested but only to the doors and drawer fronts so I see your dilema. Maybe this will be a future modification to the program?
textures 1.jpg
textures 1.jpg (25.85 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
8)