OT Do you know what is in your computer

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

OT Do you know what is in your computer

Post by George Davidson »

FREE http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
It will tell you what you have in your computer and it is FREE and they do not keep your files.
All I know that is in my computer is dust.
Attachments
Memory.jpg
Memory.jpg (108.13 KiB) Viewed 9173 times
Webroot.jpg
Webroot.jpg (16.45 KiB) Viewed 9242 times
Norton.jpg
Norton.jpg (70.7 KiB) Viewed 9240 times
Alan Odell

Re: OT Do you know what is in your computer

Post by Alan Odell »

George,

might be off base here but saw you were asking how to make things run better on your computer. It looked to me like you had Norton for an antivirus and such. My experience with them is they are a hugh resource hog!!!! Hard to get rid of too. That might help. There are free ones that get recommended here but cant remember who it is. Food for thought.

alan
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Thank You Alan
I was just told that Symantec has a clean up tool
http://service1.symantec.com/Support...05033108162039
I thing I am going to take off all Norton
But I do like there one botton clean up and there disk defragmenter I thing they work better then the ones one my computer.
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Guys,
I finally had to take the latest Norton 360 off my Dell workstation too. It kept 'freezing' my machine despite four attempts by the Norton staff to fix things. It also slowed things down significantly during browsing.
I am now using firewall and virus protection from Webroot.com. I had been using Webroot's "Window Wash" and anti-trojan software for years and finally coverted the whole thing over to them. Very happy so far.
regards,
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

AVG Free...very small resource use, very good anti-virus and the price is right--just like eCabinets. http://free.avg.com
Wally Schneeberger
Guru Member

Post by Wally Schneeberger »

DanEpps wrote:AVG Free...very small resource use, very good anti-virus and the price is right--just like eCabinets. http://free.avg.com
Ditto !!! Ditto!! 2 machines that run great with AVG free.
Joe Harkin

Post by Joe Harkin »

George, unloading Norton is a real good first start, especially if you have a router between your PC and your Internet connection. AVG is a good product, highly recommended by folks who review that sort of stuff (and as noted it's FREE). Here's a link to a list of stuff you can do (some or as much as you want) to improve the performance of your system.
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm? ... 90&page=30
There are 99 recommendations in thee list. I went thru many of them, over a period of a few days. It helped a lot, but some of it is stuff you have to get used to doing on a regular basis (just like backups).
Looking at the list of stuff (software) you have installed, I'd bet that you have a BUNCH of programs unnecessarily running in the background all the time - if you can ident them and take them out of auto-start mode (run only when asked) it could help you a lot.
I also subscribe to an online newsletter WindowsSecrets.com, which I find very helpful and informative for the Windows user community. Basic access is free at
http://windowssecrets.com/links/mbk3ibv ... %2Finfo%2F
For @ $25/yr you can get the "paid subscription" version which is really worth the money.
Joe Harkin
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Thank You Joe
I was going to order RegCure
$29.99 and 10.99 for the exter :?:I did a scan :!:
Start up has about 50 that starts up with computer :!:
Do you thing I should get the Exeter.
I do have a router but it just goes to the 2nd floor computer
Attachments
Price RegCure.jpg
Price RegCure.jpg (19.82 KiB) Viewed 8872 times
Shot7.jpg
Shot7.jpg (91.09 KiB) Viewed 8873 times
Start URegCure.jpg
Start URegCure.jpg (141.31 KiB) Viewed 8872 times
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

On Sale till tonight :?:
Attachments
RegCure_Register.jpg
RegCure_Register.jpg (114.43 KiB) Viewed 8868 times
Shot5.jpg
Shot5.jpg (83.09 KiB) Viewed 8867 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Don't waste your money on those things George...there are very good free programs that do the same thing. I use RegistryFix and it does a great job.

MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE REMOVING ANYTHING!!!
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Thank You Dan
How are you feeling
I know how you feel I have 7 bad discs. 3 just old one's not working right with concrete and the lumber
and 4 went all at one time 5 years ago.We did 60 boiler room ceilings in 60 apt. building basements my sons hung the dry wall
I did the taping in all the rooms.Thur,Fri.Sat,Sun, Mon,about 12 hours a day Monday night I painted the back shop garage door.Could not get out of bed Tuesday morning we had to call 911 they came and got me.They could not gave me anything for 2 weeks :wall: I could not walk,sleep seat or get in to the bed They had to let my heart pills get out of me.I know that pain I have learned to work around the 3 old ones put the 4 new ones. They had to give me 4 Cortisone Shots the first 2 times they went out the three time they talked me in to the 7 pills one a day for 7 days.The first 2 times I got up out of the bed and went home went back to work after4 days. The pills they had to take me home and was in bed for 2 1/2 weeks.
The cortisone shots were not bad all it felt like was warm water on my back.
Dan where do I find my REGISTRY Flies so I can back them up
Thank You Dan I am going to try AVG
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Ouch!!! It sounds like you and I should just give it up and watch from the sidelines George. :joker:

The best way to make a registry backup is to use regedit. Click the "start" button, choose "run" then enter "regedit".

When the regedit screen opens click once on "My Computer" in the left panel then click "file" on the menu. From the file menu select "Export..." and create the backup file. I create a folder just for registry backups then name the backup files using something pertinent to the reason for the backup--"B4_Program_xxx_Install". This allows me to restore the registry to it's state before I installed then uninstalled some program.

Bear in mind that this method is good only if you uninstall and restore soon after installing a program. If you wait very long (like a day) other valid registry changes will be wiped out and this could cause other problems.

Any of the regitry cleaner programs are capable of rendering your system completely inoperable if you are not extremely careful. All of them will flag valid registry entries as being problematic because they contain a key with no data. Some programs require such an empty key to operate and removing it will cause the program to fail.
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Thank You Dan
That was great I back up the file (My Computer)should I put it on a disk or just keep it on the desk top I did put it in
(my book) for back up :?:
It looks like I am going to have to buy the software.Do you thing it will fix them all or should I just take it to someone
I am lost
Attachments
Shot4.jpg
Shot4.jpg (120 KiB) Viewed 8778 times
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

If you do the backup to another disk or CD, that is fine.

What you are seeing is the problem all registry scanners have. Probably 99.999% of the "problems" located are innoculus and shouldn't be removed anyway.

Will it give you a list of the 12 items that it will fix?

Oh, by the way, this used to be a free program. I guess the money bug bit them.
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Here are the areas
I think I like (RegCure) it shows my Start up programs
I am so LOSTS :wall:
Attachments
Start URegCure.jpg
Start URegCure.jpg (141.31 KiB) Viewed 8751 times
Shot3.jpg
Shot3.jpg (120.83 KiB) Viewed 8750 times