Prefinished VCP

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Prefinished VCP

Post by Rick Palechuk »

With prefinished products becoming more popular, how are you all dealing with edge banding? We've got a job coming up that we could use this product on. We got some sample sheets in yesterday, the domestic looks good, the offshore not so good (cupped both ways). Does a person need to tip-toe around this stuff to keep it from getting beat up. Any tricks to dealing with this would be appreciated.
Terry Hall

Re: Prefinished VCP

Post by Terry Hall »

Rick I've been using the pf for the last year or so. I do all ff cabinetry and use it for sides, backs, tops, shelves, decks, and drawers. It saves a lot of time. I never use it on fin ends since most of mine are rp or fp and I use a duller finish than that used on the vc. The finish is decent and durable, at least what I'm buying is, but I've scratch it on the tablesaw and generally keep a good coat of topcoat on the saw, just need to be careful. When edgebanding for shelves I've stacked it and covered the top one and sprayed away. HTH.
Jon Kenworthy
Company Name: darrells Carpenter Shop

Post by Jon Kenworthy »

We use a prefinished birch product called either Classic Core or Super Core. It has three layers of plywood and the outside two layers are MDF. We use it as an upsell for cabinet boxes along with applied ends and more commonly as drawer boxes. It is a durable product (you don't have to be extremely careful when handling it). We use a prefinished birch edgebanding.
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Thanks for the info guys. We've been giving it the torture test and it looks pretty good. it even did well dipped in thinner. That's a good idea Terry to stack them up and give them a shot. Thanks again.
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Rick, most everything I use now is PVP. I have been using prefinished veneer edge banding as well. Just need to make sure the top/bottom trimmers are set correct so that you don't scratch the product. Most of it has a protective thin foam sheet between sheets. Be carefull if you get an order and those sheets are missing because more than likely your order has been piece milled together, you will get scratched sheets. It seems like I get good sheets on the top and bottom of the stack and crap mixed in the middle. I guess your not suppost to notice those sheets.
Damon Nabors
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Post by Gary Puckett »

Damon,

What king of wood comes pre finished? Also what is the cost?
Where I get my lumber they just have Mapel and it doesn't look very good,also cupped must be an import.

This is something I been wanting to try but a little hesitent, just because I have never used it. Also I guess it is better to use this product on a router rather than by hand on a table saw.

Oh! how was the show?

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

prefinished veneer core plywood is available at most any supplier. (Acadian, Hogan, ect....) Most any species you want. I would not try cutting it on my table saw only because it is older and the top is a little rough and might would leave scratches. I do have a verticle panel saw that we cut on prior to getting the router. I just would try to avoid sliding it on any surface that could leave scratches. I cut all my boxes with pre-finish to avoid the finish room. Only end panels, face frames, molding and doors go to the finish room.
Damon Nabors