Part Editor---contour cutting

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

DarrelMWood

Part Editor---contour cutting

Post by DarrelMWood »

Is there some magic number for cutting shapes out of a part in part editor? I have been trying to cut out a shape from a part (in this particular case, the deck) and when I go to cut through, it says it doesn't appear to be a closed contour. I have had this happen to me many times on many different parts. I create the contour using the keyboard, so the ends of lines, points of an arc, etc are defined by the points, not by mouse. Each entity starts and ends at the point of another entity (so, for example, if an arc ends at 2.5,8---the straight line I want to connect starts at 2.5,8).
Am I doing shapes that are too complex? Is there a limit to the number of line entities I can use to create a closed contour?
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Part Editor---contour cutting

Post by DanEpps »

There's no limit as far as I know Darrel. Try extend and trimming the lines at the intersections.
Alan Odell

Post by Alan Odell »

I've found you dont have to have the lines appear to intersect. If they are close it figures is out when you use the trim function. Saves some time not extending the lines.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Darrel,

When using keyboard entry, make sure Snap to Grid is turned off and that Snap to object is turned on.

Kerry