Where do we go from here?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Re: Where do we go from here?

Post by Jason Susnjara »

DanEpps wrote:
Kerry Fullington wrote:...I know publishing a paper magazine is terribly expensive but I sure miss it. eCabinets Member Magazine is one of the few trade magazines that I would read cover to cover. I tried the digital versions of a couple of the other trades and went back to paper. It isn't easy being green...
Yeah, its difficult to read too, with a laptop burning your legs in the bathroom. :wink:

I understand that for some it might be difficult to read, but it was our only choice. We had a huge problem with getting magazines back because we didn't have the right address (international mainly) or someone had moved and not informed us. This is a huge cost savings by itself, because we have to pay to get the magazines back. We also sent multiple copies to the same members because the magazine got lost in limbo somewhere. With the new digital version, we can add videos as well. It took me some time to get used to it but now I wouldn't trade it for paper.
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Jason,

thanks for the report. That is what I was digging for with this thread. I do thank the thread worked nicely though because it did bring up many of the things members are wanting.
I wanted to say that I think that you guys at Thermwood know more about what improvements and features the general membership is looking for than we are aware of. Through Feedback, the Forums, telephone calls and email I bet the programmers have a pretty good idea of our needs. I also think you guys are on the right track with your "Simplification" of eCabinets. Version 5.2 made great leaps in that direction and I think was very well received by the membership even though there wasn't much discussion of it on the Forums. Most likely the lack of discussion is because 5.2 was released,with I think, the fewest bugs and gremlins of any eCabinets version or build to date. The programmers did a great job with both the software version and it's testing before releasing it to us.
eCabinet Systems software has reached a great point in it's evolution I think. It has most of the major features that most of us want and need and can now be tweaked and refined and we as members anxiously wait for your next surprise.
Thanks to all of you for your efforts.

One last thing;
I understand and support the reasons for "gong digital" with the Member Magazine and truth be known there are a lot of benefits of being digital, but as I get older I just have to complain about something.

Kerry
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

Michael,
I understand that control nesting has it's own forum but can anyone explain to me what possible benefit manipulating the nest in ecabinets will have if it is not done in conjunction with control nesting. I know there is a chance of confusing non machine owners but it really must be stressed that the nesting that comes out of eCabinets in inherently linked to control nesting. To exlude control nesting from a discussion of improving nesting patterns in general is harmfull to improving the end product.
This message made from recycled electrons.
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Glenn Van Reason wrote:Michael,
I understand that control nesting has it's own forum but can anyone explain to me what possible benefit manipulating the nest in ecabinets will have if it is not done in conjunction with control nesting. I know there is a chance of confusing non machine owners but it really must be stressed that the nesting that comes out of eCabinets in inherently linked to control nesting. To exlude control nesting from a discussion of improving nesting patterns in general is harmfull to improving the end product.
Hey Glenn,
My thought of keeping CN in the Thermwood forum side is to not confuse the Ecabinet only user's that do not have a CNC and hopefully keep it less confusing for them. Like Jason said they are trying to simplify things and maintain functionality. I just think it would be less confusing for those that will never need it. CN only functions on the Thermwood controller so that helps us CNC owner's but if they can manipulate the nest in Ecab, they might produce a cut sheet they are more comfortable with. You know I just thought that they may have cut offs that can be used also. We have a barcode we can read but that is not possible in Ecab. So this may help them get a better yield from their existing partially cut sheets.
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Michael Kowalczyk
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Michael Kowalczyk »

Georgi Baltov wrote:Michael,

I wanted them to lock two sides so there's no movement. We are talking about lots of bottles here. The client was very happy and we learnt some valuable things from all that. I hope we get another one like this. It was all horizontal - no diagonals. The idea was to be able to use full shelves and partitions. One part was made in eCabinets and the rest in Masteecam.

Not that we haven't requested it before but in the next version one big thing for me will be drawer box part editor. Especially when you can easily make dovetails now, a part editor for the drawer boxes will probably finish that part of the program.
Hey Georgi,
Do you have any pics you can post? I'd love to see how it turned out. That would be a nice one to have the Ecab jpgs and the actual completed job side by side. I'm curious to learn what you mean by locking 2 two sides.

thanks,
Michael Kowalczyk, GM

HP-Elite Quad Core Q6700-4 MB ram, Nvidia GeForce 512 MB Dual HP 22" flat panels, Windows 7 ultimate 64bit SP1
Glenn Van Reason
Guru Member
Company Name: TBA
Location: ORANGE NSW AUSTRALIA every now and then between trips lol

Post by Glenn Van Reason »

Hey Michael,
I agree with keeping it simple, it seems to me though that the only people needing to manipulate a nest are Thermwood owners. If you don't have a Thermwood then the true nesting capabilities in ecabs seem a bit unesecessary. I see the need for creating cut line nesting for panel users but then if they are cutting on a saw they don't have the problems the Thermwood owners have of small parts nesting. I suppose at the end of the day the problems that were raised were Thermwood specific that I was commenting on. Maybe I am missing something, do non-Thermwood users do anything with true shape nesting out of eCabinets?
This message made from recycled electrons.