Where do we go from here?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Where do we go from here?

Post by Kerry Fullington »

I am curious about what is happening on the eCabinets front. What new and exciting things are in store for Version 6 and beyond?

I miss hearing Ken's occasional "State of the Cooperative" addresses on the forum.

Kerry
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Re: Where do we go from here?

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Kerry,

Sorry it took me a while to answer your question. Since IWF, it has been busy. eCabinets is still moving forward. We are working on integrating the web store into the software at this moment. This will alleviate all of the hardware that is currently there when installed. This will make it easier to purchase as well as having the ability to download the software whether it be a new version or build. We are planning on having a meeting with the programmers in the next couple of weeks to discuss what else we can be added to the software in a timely manner. This might not be the answer that you were looking for but we will give you an update as to what else we will be adding for V6.
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Jason,

What you might want to consider is putting up a list of what improvements you are looking to implement and then posting a survey to determine what the most important features are to the users. That way you could focus on the most popular items first.

Thanks,

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Joe Dusel wrote:Jason,

What you might want to consider is putting up a list of what improvements you are looking to implement and then posting a survey to determine what the most important features are to the users. That way you could focus on the most popular items first.

Thanks,

Joe
That would be great and we've all asked for that several times in the past to no avail.
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Dan, I thought with your wizardry, you could wave that wand and make anything happen! :joker:
Damon Nabors
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Joe,

The problem I see with that is the fact that the people who visit and participate in the forums is only a small percentage of the actual software users so a poll might not accurately represent the needs of the membership.
Kerry
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

That may be true, but we are the ones that really count. 8)

It might be a good idea to have a bulk email that directs users to the forum for this. Personally I could not imagine not using this forum. It's a terrific resource.

Joe
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Post by Gary Puckett »

It would still be nice to know what upgrades are being considered

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Gary,
I agree, it is always nice to have something to look forward to.

I think the feature Jason spoke of is a very important one. If it works like I think it will, it will be a great improvement. We should be able to add any item from the Web Store to your drawings and have the correct pricing etc. I am not sure how they will handle 3D representations but just getting the correct costs for items will help. This should eliminate the problems some are having with using the pricing in the software (which is not correct) and the problem that Denis was having by placing the order through the software instead of the Web Store.

I would also like to see Version 6 focus on making the features already in the software tweaked to be more functional for the user. (ie Auto dimension capability in the Line Drawing Editor. Better Job costing functionality through the software especially for labor calculations, a more user friendly and editable Proposal Writer)

A few more improvements and fixes that have been discussed in the past,

The Drag and Drop Nest editing
The ability to easily edit the information displayed on labels (also the ability to choose different label sizes)
Fix the problems with the nest diagram printout (nest prints out of order and the size of some printouts is too small to read)

Kerry
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member

Post by Gary Puckett »

Kerry,

Yes I agree, Like the auto dim. in the line drawing editor, also lets not foget the assembly issue. Need to be able to convert an assembly to a cabinet ( sometimes in name only) like mantel pieces, tables, furniture, and i'm sure there are many others. For the labor pricing problem.

Proposal writer is another issue like you stated.

I know that the team is working on V6 and doing a great job and when it's finiished they will release it and then start working on a new version and so on and so on

Gary
HP Pavilion
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Dale Wills
Company Name: none

Post by Dale Wills »

Kerry,

Can you elaborate on your 'drag and drop nest editing' suggestion. Cheers

Dale
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Dale,

There have been discussions in the past about adding the ability to move parts from sheet to sheet after a job has been nested.

You would be able to nest your job and then using the nesting diagrams be able to click on a part and drag it to a new sheet, or place it on an existing sheet with enough unused space to have better control of the nest.
if you don't like the way eCabinets nests the parts you can move them to suit.
this might decrease your optimal yield but allows you to adjust things to better suit your operation.

Kerry
Dan Voges

Post by Dan Voges »

While we had the eCabinets display at IWF, we were taking requests for improvements to the software and what people were looking for. We did get a lot of insight as to what customers were looking for, the most notable one was the blind corner cabinets being made in the standard library. Also high the list was the ability to edit drawer boxes for hand pull cutouts and the ability to cut out notches for the under-mount slides.
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member

Post by Gary Puckett »

I have never paid attention to this but does eCab when it optimizes the sheets, does it change the layout everytime you open the job does the sheet layout change sence you can not lock the job.

Gary
HP Pavilion
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

I definitely agree on the auto-dimensioning for the LDE. I personally would like to have the auto-dimensioning setup with a dialog box that lets you pick the dimensions you want, such as a radio button or checkbox for width and height. Of course I would like it to still retain the manual dimensioning features to be able to dimension other details.

I think the drag-and-drop feature for the nesting would be terrific, especially at the machine to be able to place smaller parts in areas where they are less likely to move around.

Joe