eCabinet files

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Phil Mitchell

eCabinet files

Post by Phil Mitchell »

When I create a new cabinet I know I am creating new hsf and new jpg files. Yet trying to move just these 2 files to another eCabinet seat does not capture all the information I need to recreate the cabinet correctly. What other files do we need to copy, or, how do we go about moving a cabinet that we have designed from one eCabinet seat to another?

We are teaching CNC manufacturing and eCabinets to 23 students here at NC State University, and this knowledge would help us tremendously.
Thanks for past and future help!!
Phil Mitchell
Phil Mitchell
NC State University
Raleigh, NC
phil_mitchell@ncsu.edu
(919) 515-5581
Todd Miller

Re: eCabinet files

Post by Todd Miller »

Phil Mitchell wrote:When I create a new cabinet I know I am creating new hsf and new jpg files. Yet trying to move just these 2 files to another eCabinet seat does not capture all the information I need to recreate the cabinet correctly. What other files do we need to copy, or, how do we go about moving a cabinet that we have designed from one eCabinet seat to another?

We are teaching CNC manufacturing and eCabinets to 23 students here at NC State University, and this knowledge would help us tremendously.
Thanks for past and future help!!
Phil Mitchell
Phil,
I would recommend taking a training course if you plan on teaching other students how to use the software. Most of the files in the ecabs directory cannot be shared over a network and must reside on the computer you are working on. If you need to transfer a file or directory to another computer just copy the file onto a portable device or create a shared folder on a server. Note: The files will have to be moved/copied from the server to the desired computer ecabs directory to be used.

After opening Ecabinets, view the video tutorials at the bottom of the "What would you like to do" screen.

All of the files you need are in the C:\Program Files\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems directory.
Cabinets are stored in the cabinets directory..
Assemblies are stored in the assemblies directory..

hsf file = cabinets
esa file = assemblies
esj file = jobs

If you are moving a file from one computer to another.....
Copy the .hsf and jpeg file from the cabinets directory on one computer and paste the file into the cabinets directory on the new computer.

What "other" information are you looking for?
HTH
BillHightower

Post by BillHightower »

I am trying to do the same thing. I can find the cabinets folder and the assemblies folder. In the cabinets folder I can find the standard folder but I can not find the folder of cabinets that I created. Can some one help me locate the folder that contains the cabinets that I created?
Bill Hightower
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Post by Gary Puckett »

Bill,

I think if you go to the room layout and just make a wall, then put your cabinet in the room and save it .

Then you will be able to send that file to another computer.

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Bill,
To save a cabinet/assembly:
When you save a cabinet or assembly in the cabinet editor, you must first select the blue disk icon on the lower toolbar. You will then need to rename the directory and/or the cabinet or assembly name. Now select "Save" then "Done". At this time your cabinet has been saved. This works the same way with assemblies. But with assemblies you will need to have the "assemblies" radio button selected instead of the cabinet button.

To load a cabinet/assembly:
First select the "load item" button. Note: If you see picture of cabinets, you may already be in a directory. You will need to select the "Back" button to return to the cabinet directory. This is where you will find the new directory you had just created.

I recommend watching a few of the Video tutorials we have. I also recommend that you download them to your computer, rather than streaming them from the website. The Link to the tutorials is loacated on the bottom of the "What would you like to do" screen after you open Ecabinets. HTH
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

When copying files from computer to computer, you may want to add the ECabinets.mdb file to the files that are being transferred. You can also do a backup. Then transfer the backup file to the new computer(s).

From a training POV, If you have the computers networked, you could save the Backup file to the server. Let the students create their own projects, then when class is done revert all of the computer back to the original backup file. You can copy the folders you have created from computer to computer. Just make sure that if you copy a folder from the Cabinet directory on the original computer, that you save it to the cabinets directory on the new computer. HTH
BillHightower

Post by BillHightower »

I have created a folder named Falls Drive West Cabinets and saved the cabinets that I developed in this folder. I can load cabinets from this folder and work on them. I just can't find the folder in order to move it to another computer. I have "searched" for the file folder "Falls Drive West Cabinets" but I can't find it. It is not in the C:\programfiles\thermwood\systemfiles\cabinets" folder but the cabinets are available to load. I expected it to be in the cabinets folder along with the "standard" cabinets that I can find.

Bill
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Bill,
Are you running Vista by any chance? If so, are you running the 32 or 64 bit version?
BillHightower

Post by BillHightower »

I am running Vista Utimate in the 32 bit mode.

Bill
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Bill,
You should been fine with the 32 bit version. Try doing a search for (.hsf) files. Then look and see what directory they are in. If you can load up a cabinet when ecabinets is open, the files are stored in the C:\Program Files\Thermwood\eCabinet Systems\cabinets.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

If you did not follow the Vista install instructions, the files will be located in the "Users" directory instead of Program Files\Thermwood...
BillHightower

Post by BillHightower »

Hey Dan,

I was hoping you would respond. I will look in the users folder. I didn't follow any vista instructions and I have installed ecab on two machines. Do I need to do anything like uninstalling them and then following some instructions from somewhere.

Hope you are doing great. I am back in Florida for the winter.

Bill
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Look at the top of the forum for instructions on Vista installations.
Todd Miller

Post by Todd Miller »

Bill,
If I had Vista, I would be more useful. Thanks Dan!
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Todd Miller wrote:Bill,
If I had Vista, I would be more useful. Thanks Dan!
Yeah, right!!! Haven't you seen the Vista vs Mac commercials on TV? :joker: