Outline Tooling:

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

leigh mills

Outline Tooling:

Post by leigh mills »

Hi guys,

We are using a 12mm Diamond Cutter for the outline tool, but it doesnt seem to be giving a very good finish to the edge. Just wondered if people could let me know me know what tool they are using.

We are wanting to cut on 18mm MDF and MFC Chipboard, face 1 side and 2 side.

Thanks,

Leigh
Justin Melhiser

Re: Outline Tooling:

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Leigh
Most people use a 1/2" or 3/8" compression bit for their outline tool. If you need additional information on these tools, please contact Eric Shearn at 1-800-533-6901 ext.238
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

Hi, Leigh. We use 3/8" & 1/2" compression bits for mdf and chip board and a 3/8" compression chipper for plywood panels. Are your diamond bits ground with the compression geometry? If not that may be why your finish cut is not so clean. 8)
leigh mills

Post by leigh mills »

I tried using a 1/2 compression tool and the finish seemed a lot better. I still dont think I have my settings correct, so if anyone can help:

Feed Speed - 12000
Plunge Speed - 4000
Spindle Speed - 18000
Max Penetration - 20.32mm

These are the settings which I currently have installed for this tool, I dont think that these are correct. So if anyone else is using the same tool or something similar with MDf/MFC chipboard could you please let me know what settings you have.

Thanks,
Leigh
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

Leigh, if I am using a 1/2" two flute compression bit the settings are as follows:
Plunge speed 400 ipm (10,160 mmpm)
Feed speed 600 ipm (15,240 mmpm)
Spindle speed 18000

Do you have a chip load chart? I got one for Vortex cutters in the Vortex catalogue. Chip loads need to be calculated to get the best performacne from your cutters. The number of flutes, size of the bit, and the depth of cut are all factors. Each bit has a maximum chip load that you can met by altering feed speeds and spindle speeds. When I first started using my router I was not maximizing the chip loads and was burning up cutters. The settings you are using don't seem that far off but I do not know all the specifics of the cutters you are using so you need to get a chip losd chart for your cutters. 8)