Vista Ultimate

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Vista Ultimate

Post by DanEpps »

I wouldn't try to install XP Rob, it won't work. Toshiba laptops that come with Vista installed do not have any drivers for XP. Its not that the drivers just aren't included, Toshiba has not made any XP drivers for them.

Make sure you have ALL antivirus, anti-spyware, anti-malware, firewall, etc software turned off AND disabled before running the install. You might also try turning off UAC (user Account Control) in the Vista Security Center.

After turning off all of this, uninstall eCabinets and reboot the computer. Then, with everything still turned off try the install. Immediately after running the install from the CD (before starting eCabinets for the first time), run the update from your desktop (not from the internet).

After installing the update start eCabinets. If it works now, re-enable and turn on the software you disabled earlier--one at a time and testing eCabinets after each item is enabled and started. If eCabinets then fails after starting one of them, turn it off and disable it again to see it eCabinets then works. If so, post what it is that caused the failure.
Joe Harkin

Post by Joe Harkin »

Dan may be on the right track, based on this excerpt from an independent online Windows newsletter I subscribe to;
On our inaugural 64-bit Vista machine, our line-of-business applications and printers were deployed without a hitch. The trick for us was to open the System Configuration utility (msconfig.exe) to the Tools tab and disable User Account Control (UAC) prior to installing the software. Once the installation was complete, we re-enabled UAC and everything ran perfectly.

By contrast, when we had previously installed the same apps and drivers on 32-bit Vista systems, we merely had to choose Run as Administrator rather than disable UAC altogether.

This is from WindowsSecrets.com, a weekly online newsletter I get. Anyone using Windows (and that's ALL of US) should
consider it. You can get the "Paid" version (which contains stuff like the above) for a nominal annual "donation"

Joe
Rob Nute

Post by Rob Nute »

Thanks guys, I will try all the above! Sounds like good advice. I will still need a new code though so could you please email me yet another, many thanks,

Rob
Justin Melhiser

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Rob
I just emailed you another code.
Dale Wills
Company Name: none

Post by Dale Wills »

Rob,

I feel your pain. I'm running Vista 32 and had a hell of a time getting it installed. I went through very much the same as you are now. Once I finally got it installed it ran without a hitch. The problem is I can't remember the exact steps I took to get it to install properly. I tried many different paths and can say you are on the right track with disabling UAC and running the update manually from your desktop before you open the program for the first time. I'm pretty sure I found that I had to do it all in a certain sequence. I'm looking forward to the Vista compatible version I can tell you.

Dale
Derek Krzanowski
Company Name: Self Employed

Post by Derek Krzanowski »

I am running Vista Ultimate with no problems. The only difference is that I'm running 64bit (x64) edition. I turned off the UAC a long time ago and never turned it back on so I can't say if that made a difference or not. I also installed the 32bit version of the c++ runtime but you should have that installed already since you are running 32bit windows. However, you may want to try updating it just in case. You can download it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en
Hope this helps!
Rob Nute

Post by Rob Nute »

Thanks Derek and Dale, good to hear you guys have got it working well, I am still no further forward and have now got someone looking at it for me, they think it could be a memory error in the laptop rather than anything to do with vista, we shall see!
Rob Nute

Post by Rob Nute »

Hello again, please could I have another code so that the guy who is looking into my laptop can reload ecabs, maybe he will havemore luck than me!
Justin Melhiser

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Rob
I reset your last two codes. You should be able to use one of them now.
Rob Nute

Post by Rob Nute »

Hello guys, well a week on and still no further forward! IT guy cant find anything wrong with the laptop or with the way we are installing ecabs, however as a test he also tried to install it on a similar spec laptop and had exactly the same problem. Both laptops had similar spec video cards, mine is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD3650 not sure what his was but it was a NVidia of some sort. His opinion was that it was probably to do with the video card, could this be the problem, anyone else had similar issues that turned out to be video card related?
Derek Krzanowski
Company Name: Self Employed

Post by Derek Krzanowski »

I haven't had the problem but I am running on Vista Ultimate with an ATI Radeon HD3870 with no problems. I believe it uses the same driver as yours but not positive. I also have a laptop with Vista Ultimate and an NVidia card that has no problems. Obviously this doesn't rule out the video card as your problem but I would keep looking elsewhere as well.