Vista Ultimate

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Rob Nute

Vista Ultimate

Post by Rob Nute »

Install problem... I am hoping that someone can help me out here, I bought a Toshiba P300/Q01 laptop and have had a hell of a job trying to get ecabinets to run, here are my system specs;

Intel Core Duo T9300 (2.5ghz)
Vista Ultimate 32 bit
320gb+ 320 gb SATA hd's
2gb +2gb DDR2 (667mhz)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD3650, 512

I have followed the install instructions for Vista religously and also tried other combinations, i.e not running as administrator etc. We also have ecabs running on 2 other laptops with Vista and have no problems at all, they have Vista Business and Home Premium and slightly lower spec( T8100, 2gig ram etc) but still pretty good computers.

Ecabinets installs, registers the code, runs its patch update as it should but then when you open the program ( making sure that the run as administrator and run as xp tabs are checked properties as they should be) it starts to load ok and the screen shows the big ecabinets logo then the main page opens with file, edit etc across the top and then the little icon boxes drop down and form a vertical line as per normall, at this point it freezes. The "What would you like to do now?..." and list of choices does not appear, it just hangs there not responding. To close it you need to go into task manager where it says that its using 50 % of the proccessor power despite being frozen. It will stay like that all day unless you close it.

Can this be a compatibility with Vista Ultimate problem? Do the various versions of Vista differ in the way they run programs?? Anyone out there know the magic trick required to solve my problem?

Many thanks

Rob
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Re: Vista Ultimate

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hey Rob, is the OS a 64 bit edition?
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

I just read your post again and saw that it is 32 bit.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Are you using Windows BitLocker drive encryption on the Ultimmate system? If so, that may be causing the problem. Since eCabinets is not Vista certified, it is doubtful that it will work with an encrypted drive.
Rob Nute

Post by Rob Nute »

Thanks Dan, I have no idea about the bitlocker thing, I will look into it!
Rob Nute

Post by Rob Nute »

Nope, bitlocker is turned off, damn, at least I have learned something!
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

try updating your video card driver.
http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catal ... on-vista32
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Rob Nute

Post by Rob Nute »

Thanks Rick, updated the video card, no change. Worth doing anyway, thanks.
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Rob,
I'm stabbing in the dark here, but you stated that the software auto-updated itself on first boot. I've not tested if the "run as administrator" will stay active for auto-updating. Anyone else verified this? In the mean time, manually download the latest version and then manually run it as Administrator. Let's see if that takes care of it.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Rob Nute

Post by Rob Nute »

The saga continues! I have just been through the entire computer and updated any drivers that were out of date, including the video card and with a renewed optimism went to the code generator for yet another code to try again only to find that I have now reached my limit! What happens next? I have yet to actually use ecabinets on my own computer and have used all the codes simply trying to get it to work.
Rob
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Have you tried Dean's suggestion and manually run the update?
Rob Nute

Post by Rob Nute »

Not yet as I uninstalled ecabs to start fresh, downloaded the update ready for the new installion and am now stuck with no code.
Justin Melhiser

Post by Justin Melhiser »

Rob
I just emailed you a new registration code.
Rob Nute

Post by Rob Nute »

Thanks for the code Justin, I went through the process again and I am certain that I have not made any mistakes regarding the install but it is still doing the same thing. I am wondering if this is some kind of hardware problem but I know very little about such things or how to check or is there something in Windows Ultimate that doesnt like ecabs although everyone I have talked to says that all versions should run programs in the same way. Something is stopping ecabs at the point that I described in my first post, I will phone Toshiba support today and see if they have any ideas and will let you know how I get on.
Thanks for your patience,

Rob Nute
Rob Nute

Post by Rob Nute »

Well the guy at Toshiba seemed uninterested, he said its a compatability issue and to ask if anyone else has run the program on Vista Ultimate succesfully.
So has anyone? I am toying with the idea of installing xp but its a headache with the driver issues and also if it is a hardware problem then it still wont fix it, at least I will know!