How to create an over the sink / window valance?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Derek Krzanowski
Company Name: Self Employed

How to create an over the sink / window valance?

Post by Derek Krzanowski »

I've seen a lot of examples of them on the forums, but no good explanations of how to create them. If there is one, could you point me to it? Otherwise, could someone possible post a good explanation here for me and future newbies? I tried doing it with a display cube but I couldn't figure out how to rotate the cube in the part editor so that I could cut through from top to bottom instead of front to back.
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Re: How to create an over the sink / window valance?

Post by Peter Walsh »

Derek,
I do mine in the Part Editor using a display board. Once you get the hang of it, it goes quickly. Unfortunately the Part Editor is one of those things you will need to spend some time on. When you open eCab, you will see in the bottom of the list that pops up, a link to Video Tutorials. These can help kickstart a user.
regards,
Derek Krzanowski

I thought about trying the display board, the problem I thought I'd run into is that I'd have to use 3 of them. I will do this if it's the only way, but I figured there must be an easier way which is why I attempted the display cube. The reason I need 3 sides is because it will need to have sides since it will stick above the cabinets on either side. If this is the best route to go (3 display boards instead of a display cube), I have no problems doing it, I just have a really hard time doing something that I'm not confident is the best way. I fully understand the concepts of the part editor however I do lack experience with it so I wondered if I was just missing something when I couldn't figure out how to rotate my cube. Obviously you guys here are the experts so what you say to do I will take as the best way. Thx for the quick reply!
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Use a cabinet with just a back and sides, then rotate it. You can then constrain any PE cuts and use it as an adjustable valance.
Gene Kimmi

Post by Gene Kimmi »

Here is a cabinet I made by deleting the back, deck, and all parts of the face frame except the top rail. I made the top rail the same width as the cabinet is tall.
Attachments
Valance.jpg
Valance.jpg (7.76 KiB) Viewed 6005 times
Valance.hsf
(146.02 KiB) Downloaded 335 times
Gene Kimmi
Lenovo W540 windows 8.1 Pro
Intel Core i-7 4800MQ @ 2.7GHz 8 GB ram
Intel HD & NVIDIA Quadro K2100M Graphics
Samsung 256 SSD Drive
Derek Krzanowski

Perfect! Thx so much!