How to add a left-right partition?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Joe Harkin

How to add a left-right partition?

Post by Joe Harkin »

I want to add a left-right partition aprox midway between the front and back, to create a sort of "false back" closing off a rear compartment. I already used the "Back" to close the real back of the cabinet, so I can't use it with a big inset. :?
This is for a pop-up TV cabinet; the lifter mounts on the "real" back panel.
Any ideas for this one ? :wall:
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: How to add a left-right partition?

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Joe,

Use a stretcher.

Kerry
Joe Harkin

Post by Joe Harkin »

Thanks, Kerry. Using a stretcher worked to get the panel in place. I wanted to keep it inset from the left and right end panels, to allow for the pocket slides and doors to go past it - can I make cutouts in the sides of the "stretcher" with the part editor? If I slice a couple of inches off the left/right ends that way, will the "stretcher" stay centered?
I also need to place several 3/4"x2" filler strips against the sides for mounting the slides - use display panels? I tried using front-back stretchers for that, but eCab won't let me place them between the FF front and either the back stretcher or the narrow inset back. Partitions wont work here because they need to be in the middle (vertical) of the end panels to line up with the euro hinge borings on the doors (4" from top/bottom). I'll try to attach the cab file so far, for illustration.
I love the software, but sometimes feel like I'll be too old to run for Pres by the time I'm really good with it :joker:
Pop-Up TV Cab (Small).jpg
Pop-Up TV Cab (Small).jpg (39.78 KiB) Viewed 4059 times
I can add the cab file if it'll help.........
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Joe,

You can do what you want using an up down stretcher with left right orientation. Make the stretcher width the width of your cabinet box inside less the gap you want to leave.

Use partitions with a back inset for the ends .

I would probably use display panels for your slide spacers. they won't re-size with the cabinet though.
Attachments
joe.jpg
joe.jpg (35.11 KiB) Viewed 4045 times
Joe Harkin

Post by Joe Harkin »

Thanks once again, Kerry. That worked just like you said. I wasn't thinking about using the stretcher up-down - need to think "outside the box" more often. I did have one problem, though. I had to take off my made-up face-frame top and put on a "real" top to define the top end of the stretcher - I couldn't terminate it into the left-right upper stretcher. It would have been "cleaner" to dado it into the upper stretcher directly. Just another workaround, I guess, like using display panels for the slide backer strips.
Thanks again. :beer:
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member

Joe,

You can still use a top. use insets (some negative) to place the top on the front of your cabinet leaving the space for the trap door, then use a display panel or board for your trap door. This way you can display the door open and you will have your top to place stretchers.

Kerry