Another Vista 64 Disaster

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gregory Hairston

Another Vista 64 Disaster

Post by Gregory Hairston »

A few weeks ago my home was broken into and they stole 3 of my Computers. All Three were macs and I was running XP with Bootcamp and Ecabs worked fine. I had to replace a computer and could not afford to buy a Mac at this time so I purchased a very powerful Laptop but of course it has Vista 64 installed. Well after 5 hrs working with Justin at tech support and me pulling my hair out and numerous installs and re-installs I still can not get it to work. I followed the instructions to the letter, Uninstalled norton, and still no success. The program will load and get to the main screen where the Icons show up but never gets to the "What would you like to do" portion. In other words I have the pictures that sit to the left of to words and then it locks up. We tried to bypass that screen but then It will lock up on something else. I am desperately looking for a solution. If anyone of you out there have seen this problem please post a possible solution

Thanks

Greg
Successful people do the things others won't
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Another Vista 64 Disaster

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Gregory,

I am sure you don't want to hear this but I would find some way to get XP on the machine and use it for your operating system when you want to run eCabinets.

Kerry
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Kerry Fullington wrote:Gregory,

I am sure you don't want to hear this but I would find some way to get XP on the machine and use it for your operating system when you want to run eCabinets.

Kerry
That likely isn't possible any more--XP is no longer being sold. Even if it were, most newer systems with Vista pre-installed don't have any XP drivers for much of the hardware.

If you installed the Vista Patch and still can't get eCabinets to install and run, you might want to try installing 32bit Vista. Many users are using eCabinets with it and have no problems.
Gregory Hairston

Dan,
you are correct about XP and the lack of drivers for the newer systems. I will try 32 bit Vista tonight. My only concern with it is the limitation on memory.

Greg
Glenn Warner
Company Name: Expressions in Wood

Post by Glenn Warner »

Windows XP sp3 available from Newegg for $89.99.
Joe Harkin

Post by Joe Harkin »

From a recent Windows newsletter
XP won't die; Windows 7 about to be born
Apparently, Windows Vista isn't such a hot commodity: Microsoft has extended the deadline for halting shipments of XP. Demand for Vista's predecessor is high enough that the company postponed the cutoff date to July 31, 2009.
PC makers that currently offer so-called "downgrades" from Vista to XP — which for many people are more like upgrades — will be able to continue the offer six months longer than previously anticipated. Microsoft had originally set the cutoff date for Jan. 31, 2009, and that cutoff date is still in effect for small OEMs.

And yes, you can still buy a full version from several sources.
Gregory Hairston

Up and running. I had to downgrade to 32 bit Vista. I would have went to XP but this Laptop has 4 GB or DDR3 Memory and XP would not have recognized more than 2 GB. I must say this laptop is Awesome. It runs ECAB better than my desktop and screams through all of my programs. Thanks for all the help and special thanks to Justin at Tech Support. He really went the extra mile to help me solve my issues

Greg
Keith T. Ziegler

Post by Keith T. Ziegler »

Greg,
Can you send me the link were you downloaded the vista 32 bit system. I just got a new lap top with the 64 system

Thanks Keith
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

did you try using the new 64 patch?

http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... f=3&t=6523
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

After using Rick's aforementioned patch, I was able to install eCabinet Systems on my Vista 64-bit machine and it runs very, very well. I am running an Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 with 256MB nVidia Quadro card and 4GB RAM.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Gregory Hairston

Keith,
No link. The disk came with my new computer. YOu can not download Vista anywhere.

Greg