Planning new PC system - requirements?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Re: Planning new PC system - requirements?

Post by Nick M Singer »

I'm going back to the drawing board
Joe Harkin

Post by Joe Harkin »

Tried Stage on my old (existing) system-
Dell 4600
P4/2.4MHz
1G DDR 2700/3200 (mixed) RAM
ATI RADEON 9000 All-In-Wonder Vid card 64MB OpenGL supported
Shut down everything else I could think of.

Two cups of coffee to load, cant do ANYTHING with it, 576MB memory used by eCab, 1.6+ MB page file in use.
This IS a real good system test file. I'm surprised I can even SEE the layout on this thing.
BTW based on recent Microsoft announcements I'm waiting for Windows7 - apparently even Steve Balmer recommends it......
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

You mean Crazy Steve?
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Nick,

The performance isn't too "abysmal". I was able to add all the seating and now I am gong to start on the wood work.

I think one reason this job is such a monster is that there are 24 light sources to calculate.

Kerry
Attachments
stage.jpg
stage.jpg (205.09 KiB) Viewed 5965 times
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Sorry Kerry I read a reply by Dan as one of yours, what system are you running, and what are the load time and render times like?
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Post by Dean Fehribach »

I loaded this job. Took one minute to load. Rotating it, I get right at one frame per second (1 fps) without the Quadro tweak (I'm on Vista).
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

I have much the same system as yours Dean except I am running XP sp3 and have a 8800GT with 512megs but i can not get the file to load. I think you will agree that has nothing to do with the graphics card. I also got one of my own larger files (12 megs) added 24 lights and it handles just fine and renders within 30 seconds.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Nick,

My system is shown at the bottom of this post. It is about two years old and I am curious if the newer stuff isn't working better.

It took 2minutes 22 seconds to load the file and then without moving anything it only took 6 seconds to render the overhead view but then took 22 minutes 24 seconds to render a presentation view. Movement is jerky but not painful.

I think that another thing with this file is all the curved part editor cuts. There are hundreds of them on the curtains.

I would like to know what the Ultimate eCabinets Machine might be. I have never been able to do all the stuff I want to job files because the computer balks.
Attachments
Time to open the Stage File
Time to open the Stage File
load time.jpg (71.48 KiB) Viewed 5877 times
Presentation View Render Time
Presentation View Render Time
Presentation_01.jpg (68.93 KiB) Viewed 5876 times
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Ok Kerry as you can see from my earlier post my Quadro 3500 system is now back in business and I can report that the performance is just as awful. I only get a black screen when I try to do a presentation view and the handling is slow and jerky. It appears to me that the performance on your system is about as bad, I would find it unacceptable and impractical to work on a job that handled that way, 22 minutes to render and image, please spare me! we may as well draw it by hand. I can only conclude that the money spent on a Quadro is simply not worth it and that for the average kitchen design a good gamers card works just as, or about as well