Wall with soffit

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Gregory Hairston

Wall with soffit

Post by Gregory Hairston »

I have a built in that has to fit along a wall with a soffit that is 5.5" deep and 7" tall. The base cabinet with have 2 side 18" deep and a center 23" deep the tops will be book cases 12: deep and need to fit under the soffit but the frame must go to the ceiling. Im attaching a room layout and want opinions on how to make this work in Ecab. I have had problems getting the cabinets to associate to the correct walls.
Ent Layout.esj
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 282 times
Successful people do the things others won't
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Wall with soffit

Post by DanEpps »

I haven't looked at the room you posted, but you can take cabinet ends into the Part Editor and notch out for the soffit.

You would have to have a back inset on the top and a stretcher behind it. Then place a shelf with a front inset underneath the stretcher.

If the unit has face frames, can you make the top rail 5-1/2" to cover the drop from the soffit?
John J. Desmond
Company Name: American Millwork Company

Post by John J. Desmond »

Gregory,

I used your wall from your post and added cabinets. I associated them to two walls, wall 2 and wall 3. Is this what you are looking for?
Ent Ctr 1.jpg
Ent. Ctr. 2.jpg
Ent. Ctr. 3.jpg
John Desmond
Gregory Hairston

Post by Gregory Hairston »

Yes John that is very close to what I am trying to achieve. How do you associate to 2 walls. Can you associate the side of a cabinet to the wall. I did not know you could do that. That may be what was keeping me from making this work

Greg
Successful people do the things others won't
John J. Desmond
Company Name: American Millwork Company

Post by John J. Desmond »

Gregory,

Click on the wall you want to associate to and then double click on the cabinet. Right click and select wall options. Then associate cabinet to wall. After that you click on the next wall (highlight green) and double click the cabinet again. Then right click.....select....associate....you know. This should associate it to both walls. This associates the whole cabinet to the wall, not just the side. If you have upper cabs and base cabs I believe you have to associate each individually rather than at the same time. HTH

John