Grass Zargen cuts on router

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Grass Zargen cuts on router

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hello,
Is any one succesfully figured out how to use grass zargens in your library and be able to resize drawer material with machining? I currently have taken a drawer and eliminated all but the deck and back, set the insets accordingly and this will resize with the cabinets. This gives me the blank for the deck and back, but does not give me the groove in the deck or the dowel hole in the back, such a shame to have a machine but not be able to use it for basic functions like this. I do have quite a library built up, but would be willing to change it if some one has figured this out. Heres hoping for drawer part editing in the very near future, I feel it is right on top of the list for any one with a machine. :beer:
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com
jerry johnson

Re: Grass Zargen cuts on router

Post by jerry johnson »

Hi, Michael. I do not use the Grass system but I do use the Blum Tandem guides alot and the drawer boxes need holes and notches too. The way I got around the limitations in the drawer box editor was like this:
I create a drawer box that consists of only a left and right side made of a material I call "do not cut" and place these in the cabinets to get the holes bored in my partition and end panels for the slides. Then I created an upper cabinet that has all the joinery and materials I use in making drawer boxes. You can take the individual parts of this upper cabinet into the part editor to get the notches and holes needed for the rest of the hardware. To get a cut list I refer to the drawer box listing and enter them in a batch list using my special "upper cabinet drawer boxes." This is an extra step and I too hope that one day we will be able to take individual drawer box parts to the part editor but for now it works. 8)
Michael S Murray
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Grass Zargen cuts on router

Post by Michael S Murray »

Hi Jerry, thanks for the suggestion,I have used your method when I need to make a scoop or tapered pullout.
Very time consuming to say the least. For my residential boxes I use the grass undermount that is very similar to the blum undermount and in fact uses the same drawer box. The way I whipped the notches was to make the deck slide in from the back, this eliminates the need for the notches, then we have a jig that locates the hole and we drill it with a hand drill at assembly.
Mike Murray
Versatile Cabinet & Solid Surface
mike@versatilecabinet.com
http://www.versatilecabinet.com