tankless water heater

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Greg McCorkill

tankless water heater

Post by Greg McCorkill »

Has anyone enclosed a gas tankless watr hearter? how did you provide for combustio air?
Iain Hall

Re: tankless water heater

Post by Iain Hall »

Most tankless have their own intake for combustion air but be very carefull there are some pretty specific clearances to follow and some states and provinces do not allow them to be enclosed at all. In my case I called the inspector ahead of time and he too was unsure as the tankless is still fairly new around here so we agreed on 4" clearance with a hardwired smoke detector in the enclosure.
Iain Hall
Woodwright Cabinets
Greg McCorkill

Post by Greg McCorkill »

thanks for the info i will check
Joe Harkin

Post by Joe Harkin »

Greg, you might want to take this question to the JLC plumbing forum. You should get some help there from folks who are more qualified to advise than us cabinet folk.
When it comes to utility-related questions I always go to the appropriate pro's, especially when the product is going in a client's home/business.
Better safe than sorry.

Joe
Mike Bowers
Wizard Member

Post by Mike Bowers »

Iain Hall wrote:Most tankless have their own intake for combustion air but be very carefull there are some pretty specific clearances to follow and some states and provinces do not allow them to be enclosed at all. In my case I called the inspector ahead of time and he too was unsure as the tankless is still fairly new around here so we agreed on 4" clearance with a
hardwired smoke detector in the enclosure
Great idea
I know Doug Mockett Inc sells a vented grommet that could be used in conjunction with the above info, we have used them in the pass to ventilate CPU cabinets and they worked well in the application.
We love what we do, we do it well.