Dell laptop?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Dell laptop?

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Is anyone running ecabs on a Dell Inspiron 9400? If so what do you think of them? I can buy a factory blemish (no visible issues) that had a few custom features like a 256 dedicated video card (not Quatro). Its a 17" monitor, Duo core 1.86 ghz with 2 gb ram and 120 gb hard drive. Already has XP pro and full Office software. The Dell rep will let it go for $599.00 with factory warranty.

What do you think?

Forrest
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Re: Dell laptop?

Post by Peter Walsh »

Forrest,
The big item is always going to be the Video card. I don't think that one will perform well with the demands of eCab.
Get some other opinions as well, but I recommend: don't scimp on the video card and RAM.
regards,
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

I have an Inspiron E1705 (the new model number for the 9400) and it runs eCabinets--not great but it does run.

One problem I can see other than the video capabilities Peter mentioned is that you can only have 2GB RAM with that model.

With all of that in mind, if you are wanting something to take to the client location and do SIMPLE preliminary layouts, it should work okay. If you want to use it as a primary design system I don't think it will be an overall pleasing experience.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Forrest,

I have a Dell 9100 with 2.8 GH processor, 128mb graphics card, 2GB ram running XP pro and it will run eCabs now but not great. I use it to get my room layouts then transfer to another computer for the design. After the design I create slide shows etc. for the laptop for presentations.

The 2 gig ram is not enough and on mine the graphics card is a definite problem.

This laptop worked great through version 4 but when Version 5 was introduced it became pretty much useless. ($2400.00 paper weight)

Kerry
Forrest Chapman
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Forrest Chapman »

Thanks Guys,

I am aware of the slight limitations compaired to maybe the older M model. The graphics card is an Nvidia Geforce Go 7800 with 256 mhz which I believe is some what comparable to the Go 7600 (512 mhz) that is in my desktop. My desktop was custom built and does quite well with ecabs.

As you mentioned Dan, the main purpose is to show clients their perspective job. I also do training with cabinet shops who are interested in my "ready to finish" or "ready to assemble" products.

I really have 2 libraries that I work with. One is for design only and is basicaly a shell or strip down version of the cabinets I produce. These are the cabinets I design with and the libraries that I give to my cabinet shop clients to use in there designs. This allows for much faster designing and rendering. It also allows me to protect my construction techniques that are in the manufacturing libraries. So most of the work done on the laptop will be for display.

Thanks,
Forrest
Mike Snodgrass

Post by Mike Snodgrass »

I purchased a M90 for around 800 and it works great. The Quadro 2500 is a battery hog when not plugged in, but I'm rarely far from a plug.
I would definitely purchase this laptop again.
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Where did you buy the M90?
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Mike Snodgrass

Post by Mike Snodgrass »

I bought it from the dell outlet store online.
check in refurbished, under small business.
It's a workstation and an individual can't buy it.
That's why you have to buy it under the business category.
BenRatt

Post by BenRatt »

I have a Dell Precision M65 and I bought a used M90 (per the specs that used to be pub'd on the forum- I don't know where they went) off ebay a few weeks ago with a square deal warranty for about $450. I don't know of a cheaper way to get a laptop that will do well with ecabs.
Ben Ratterree
Blue Ridge Cabinetworks
Spartanburg, SC
http://www.blueridgecabs.com