Hardware Patterns

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Rob Davis
Guru Member

Hardware Patterns

Post by Rob Davis »

Is there an easy way to know which pattern to use with which hinge? For example, under Blum clip hinges, there is a 3,4, 5, etc. and so how do I know what 3 is versus 4 versus 5, etc without going through each one and figuring it out? Plus I see that patterns are not always drilled deep enough for the mounts. I assume these can be changed, renamed and saved. But I don't want to modify the wrong one.
Is there a cross reference somewhere that says if I use this hinge, I need this pattern number?
Obviously we are not too expereinced in drilling hinge and mount holes but we are starting to do so and I need to figure it out.
Hope all had a great holiday season! Thanks in advance for the help.
Rob
Mike Snodgrass

Re: Hardware Patterns

Post by Mike Snodgrass »

I'm not sure about blum, but salice offers a formula inside the front cover of their book. You simply take the desired overlay needed versus the crank value of the hinge and the thickness of the mounting plate and input them into the formula and it gives you the required tab distance( cup distance from edge of door).
I would think this would be available from blum.
FredHirsch

Post by FredHirsch »

Rob,
I use the Hafele patterns, but I'm assuming that Blum is the same. 3,4,5, etc refers to the tab. Distance from the edge of the board. One of the things that took me a while and I'm still not fully clear on, but you kindof have to do the math for your hardware then match in ecabs the hardware pattern AND the overlay/reveal. I thought it would match the tab depending on the overlay for the door, but found it does not. Someone chime in here if I'm wrong.. but that is how I have been working. With Hafele you have to make sure you get the clip correct also.. Also, you are correct the mount holes are not full depth, you have to edit those using the hardware hole pattern editor.
I hope this helps,
Fred
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

If your not drilling the doors for hinges on a router, then it doesn't matter what tab you have. The backset of the hinge plate does not change. The plate holes should be 37mm from the front edge of the gable. The depth doesn't look right on the patterns. Maybe someone from Thermwood could jump in.
Rob Davis
Guru Member

Post by Rob Davis »

Thanks for the replies, guys. Some of my confusion was that the plate holes seem to always be the same and so if we are using doors from somewhere other than the router, it didn't seem to matter what hinge clip pattern we used and they all worked. But of course, I am trying to prevent the time that it really will matter and we end up wth a bunch of sides that don't work so I am trying to understand why there are 6 patterns for hinge plates, etc.
While we have figured out that the depth of hole sneeds editing, it seems silly to me that they would put a pattern out there for a known thing and not set the correct depth....Or am i missing something here?
Rob
Gary Urlacher

Post by Gary Urlacher »

Hey Rob, I can comment on the depth not being set for the hinge plates. I use the 5mm system screws for my hinge plates so I have to
edit the depth of the holes. Some people use wood screws so they would not edit the depth and just use the shallow holes as marks
for their screws etc.

I do not know if this is the reason why it was done like that but it seemed to make sense to me to do that.

Gary