Mboards & Processors

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Terry Hall

Mboards & Processors

Post by Terry Hall »

I've been replacing the mboard and processor in my computer now for the last few years. I usually try to do it about every three years, but it's been longer than that on this round. I've had the same case, cd rom, graphics card and hard drive for the last three times so I'll probably change them all this time. Since I'm doing all that, it may be cheaper for me to just purchase another computer, but I'm going to check with newegg and see how it stacks up. Usually only takes me a few hours to make the changes. I can usually get it done for about 1/3 the price of a new computer, but they've come down since I did the last rebuild. I usually take the old hd and use it as a slave which works out well too.

Anybody have any recommendations for other hardware suppliers, and what mb, processors, and graphic cards do you like the best. I'm just shopping right now and I'll probably check out dell for a build price.
Georgi Baltov
Guru Member
Company Name: Top Notch Cabinets

Re: Mboards & Processors

Post by Georgi Baltov »

Terry,

my recommendation is to get an HP or Dell computer if you choose PC or Mac otherwise. Something that has been fully tested and integrated. Our experience with clones (custom assembled computers) has been pretty bad. HP and Dell can custom build anything for you. It's true that it might be a bit more expensive but it saves you so much trouble later. Anyways that's my advise. Good luck.
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Thanks for the reply George. Right, clones and cheap computers can be problematic, you're right. I've been buying good motherboards, processors, and top of the line components and not had that problem. Like I said, I've built my last three or four computers and have been really satisfied with their performance, it may be cheaper to buy one already built, but I've been looking at motherboards and processors and the prices look pretty good. I haven't settled on a graphics card but doubt I'll go with the fx3500 since it's pretty spendy. Right now I have a radeon and it's okay, but I do know their are better ones out there.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

I have to agree with you that there are numerous quality component manufacturers and vendors. I sold thousands of clones that I built when I was in the computer retail business and all were very high quality systems.

By building your own, you can, in many cases, get a far more substantial system than is available from Dell, HP, IBM, etc.

I have been out of the retail business for some years now and would never buy another clone. Why? Simple--support. When you buy from Dell or HP, you get your support from a single source. With a u-build-it you might be able to get some support (as in return faulty component to vendor) from the vendor and you might have to chase several manufacturers for support.

Even if you were able to get single-source support, you would probably have to send the faulty component back to the vendor, wait for them to test it then wait for the new component to arrive. During this time the computer is an expensive paperweight. With Dell I have always had same day service (four hours) so I am never waiting for days to replace a broken part. With user-replacable parts, Dell ships me the new part via next-day air. After I replace it, I simply return the defective part in a prepaid shipping box they provide.

Having said that, I know you can buy on-site support plans from third-party vendors and I definitely would not even consider building a systyem without the same level of support I get from Dell. If you do buy a third-party support plan, be sure to check them out thoroughly before you buy--some are good and many (if not most) are terrible,
Joe Harkin

Post by Joe Harkin »

Terry-
I've been wanting to upgrade from my 5-6 yr old Dell Dim4600 for a while and a new ATX case from my son (Xmas) kicked me into building it. All Ordered Sunday 12/28 from Newegg;
MB- ASUS P5Q SE Plus 775/P45
CPU- Intel PDC E5200 2.5Ghz Dual Core 2MB L2 shared Cache
VGA- MSI R4670-2D512 HD4670
Mem- 4G (2x2G) Kingston KVR800D2K2 DDR2-800
CD/DVD- ASUS 18x (SATA)
DVD-RW- Sony (SATA)
All above for @ $300. Already had a Seagate 500G SATA HD and a clean copy of XP-Pro/SP2
Wanted to do a clean install rather than a disk-image copy, to start with a relatively clean registry and no leftover sludge in the bowels. Now that is running I'll do a drive image to backup the 'virgin' system .....and try not to add too much 'junk' to it.
Plenty of room on the HD for a 'hot'backup, with an external USB drive forJIC
The new system boots to a browser or app window in well under a minute, can run eCab, Quicken'08, QB_Pro'08 and Firefox concurrently with no visible strain. Lots of headroom to upgrade, both RAM (64G max DDR2 1200), and CPU (Core 2 Extreme)

The Graphics seem just fine for now. If needed I can always go for the FX card later.
Anyway, my $.02, FWIW

Joe
Joe Harkin

Post by Joe Harkin »

Update-
Ran Kerry's "Stage" job....At least now it loads, and I can rotate it, but presentation results in a blank/black screen depending on whether the lighting effects are active.
Only defense is I'm not likely to be doing anything that complicated anytime......probably in my lifetime!
Terry Hall

Post by Terry Hall »

Good for you George. I'm looking at some of the same components you chose. I haven't decided on a graphics card yet though. I've been happy with asus mobos and will probably settle on one of them.

Dan is probably right, for the average computer buyer. I used to spend a lot of time on the tech forums, but in the last few years I've lost track of many of the latest technologies. Building a computer from components isn't for everybody, since you can probably get a bad component, but as Dan said the same thing can happen when you order a computer from whomever. Customer service can be good, or bad, and sometimes you're on hold for longer than it would take to swap out a simple component. The main thing is to do your homework up front and find the best components that are tried and proven. I own a Dell laptop and spent several days trying to get it repaired one time and when it came right down to it, they would help me, but for a fee since it was out of warranty. It's important when you decide to build that you have a backup plan, for me it's my laptop. If things don't go quite like I plan I break out my laptop until I get things resolved. I prefer building my own, if I don't like one of the components down the road, I remove it and replace it with one I like better and I don't have a fortune tied up in it. It's not just the cost savings, although that can be substantial, I enjoy doing it, it's a break from the shop and it's not dusty at all. It's not brain surgery and is actually quite simple to do, providing you have a little patience and don't break out the stapler, hammer, or nail guns, hard drive isn't a wood species.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Well said Terry. Just don't forget the anti-static wristband!!!

I just assembled a system for one of my son's friends. He wanted a killer gaming system and the ready-mades were outrageously expensive. We ended up spending about $1000 on the system and now I wish I had one...even though I'm way too slow for video games. :joker:

It is amazing how the cost of components continues to drop. The last DVD-R drive I bought cost around $150 and his new drive was about $30! RAM has dropped so much that they may as well give it away--4GB of DDR2 is something like $20 now. Its the same with hard drives. You can get 500GB for around $120 or so.

When I first went into the retail computer business, my first sale was a 750MB (yeah, MD not GB) hard drive for $2500!!! Of course the standard huge drive at the time was 125MB. CPUs were really fast at 25MHz...

I'd better stop, I'm starting to feel really old... :roll:
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Ya man, your freakin' us out.
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

DanEpps wrote: When I first went into the retail computer business, my first sale was a 750MB (yeah, MD not GB) hard drive for $2500!!! Of course the standard huge drive at the time was 125MB. CPUs were really fast at 25MHz...

I'd better stop, I'm starting to feel really old... :roll:
Dan,

Don't forget this LIGHTENING FAST machine with it's ergonomic style keyboard. Won't be getting carpal tunnel syndrome with this baby. :joker: It was the gaming system of its time. ASTOROIDS, SPACE INVADERS, PONG.
Attachments
commadore 64.jpg
commadore 64.jpg (152.84 KiB) Viewed 11484 times
Damon Nabors
JohnLashuay
Guru Member
Company Name: Rylex Custom Cabinetry-Close

Post by JohnLashuay »

Damon, Great picture!!! Can you run Ecabinets on that system??? BTW where's the mouse?? :joker:
Rylex Custom Cabinetry & Closets
http://www.rylexonline.com
Thermwood CS 43
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

No problem, I still remember all the DOS commands.
Damon Nabors
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

64K Memory!!! WHOA!!!
Joe Harkin

Post by Joe Harkin »

All right, if it's gonna be a contest....I think I may still have that old TI-99 console up in the attic....maybe even the cassette tape player to load a program, Wonder where that copy of Hunt-the Wumpus went...?
JohnLashuay
Guru Member
Company Name: Rylex Custom Cabinetry-Close

Post by JohnLashuay »

Joe what is a TI-99? I have never heard of such a thing! I looked it up and seemed to be something the cavemen used :joker: WOW!!
Rylex Custom Cabinetry & Closets
http://www.rylexonline.com
Thermwood CS 43