Plywood thickness vs bottom rail

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Mike Snodgrass

Plywood thickness vs bottom rail

Post by Mike Snodgrass »

I usually build mdf boxes, but on sink cabinets I use a plywood deck.

I'm using a 3/4" plywood deck and a 1 1/2" bottom rail with a bottom inset of 3/4" on the deck.

Then we adjust the material thickness of the plywood while creating the tdf file.

The plywood isn't quite full thickness so it sits approx. 1/16 below the top edge of the bottom rail.(the bottom inset stays correct, it adjusts the material thickness from the inside of the box)

SO......

The way I'm thinking, is that I either have to make a new sheet material of 11/16" and use a 13/16" inset under the deck.

OR....
Un-check the 'has deck' option and go with a fixed shelf. If I choose this option, what would my inset be underneath? Would I still use the 3/4" material or the 11/16"?

I like using the 3/4" option because I can alternate between mdf and plywood or melamine parts with a simple change materials move in the room.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Plywood thickness vs bottom rail

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Mike,

In Construction Settings, Face Frames Tab under Bottom Rail, use the Deck float to make your adjustment. This moves the deck up or down whatever value you enter.

Kerry
Mike Snodgrass

Re: Plywood thickness vs bottom rail

Post by Mike Snodgrass »

Kerry, i have the deck float set on zero, but it still goes off of the deck inset. maybe I should set it at negative 1/16?