The Future of eCabinet Systems

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nemanja Vujkovic

Re: The Future of eCabinet Systems

Post by Nemanja Vujkovic »

Come on guys, STOP fighting. :D Personaly, i think that Vista is great, but only for entertaintment such as watching movies and listening to music, some of the games work great on it too. The bottom line is,its called a personal computer. :D
I think that the assemly marks are great addition to eCabs. I will not benifit from them, but if i would be able to position them where i want them, or even better, if we get an option to put holes for the screws,... Maybe even an option to drill holes for door and drawer pulls it would save a lot of time on the assembly line.

Best regards to everyone.

Nano
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Georgi Baltov wrote:...I think that Windows 7 will be a pretty stable version. They have been working on it for a long long time. We'll see tough I don't really want to bet on it. My bet is that the "7" will only need a service pack to fix the major bugs after about an year of it's final version release. I don't think that Thermwood should concentrate on developing Vista-compatible eCabinets. Vista is pretty much already dead as Windows 7 is already in public beta...
True, it is in public beta (final beta expected very soon), but it is basically Vista- (minus). What they have done is simply hide the "features" that are causing problems. It is not a redesign, simply a repackaging in the same manner as was done with 98 & ME.
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

ken,
I am one of those users who doesn't have a CNC, being a small, custom, one man shop. However, the addition of the assembly marks is nothing short of brilliant for the CNC users, and should be recognized as a major aid to fast assembly. Bravo!
regards,
Joe Harkin

Post by Joe Harkin »

Dan,
Have you looked at/played with a beta of Windows7 yet. I saw a link on one of the PC techie forums for a download of it. Thinking of maybe setting aside a small chunk of my new 500G SATA HD to fool around... :?:
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

I sure haven't Joe. I couldn't find anything about Windows 7 to get excited enough to download, install and test it. :wink:
Karin Sasse

Post by Karin Sasse »

Hi
happy New year to you all.

I have been using ecabs since ver.3, curently run Vista on a Toshiba laptop and have no trouble at all. A friend off mine bought a new laptop with better specs than mine and we can not get ecabs working at all.
We went and bought a cheap laptop with Vista and had no problems to get it working.

My question is how do I downgrade to XP?

I do not have a machine we buy our Cabinets made to measure in and outsource our Doors, But we rely on ecabs as much as any machine owner, we design and do the presentation , we get our cabinet sizes and
any other mesurement from it, we send Linedrawings to the Electrician and Plumber, Our Business would not be were we are without ecabs. I own 2 other Cad Programs and they dont even come close.

I would support thermwood in any way I can and I'm greatful for all the help they have given us. I do not partisipate in the forum a lot, but I do read the Posts everyday.

Thank you to Thermwood and all the people that make this the best program we could ever own.

Thanks Fred/ Karin
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Damon Nabors »

Well, Just finished up cutting a job with the assembly marks and they are a success. I have a gentleman that I go to church with and he has been out of work for a month or so now so I have been letting him clean up around the shop and do odd jobs to generate some income for his family. I put him on the cabinets we cut out today with the assembly marks and he was able to put them together. Keep in mind this is a person with Zero experience. Talk about a confidence booster for this man. I believe I may have a new cabinet man now. :beer:

Ken, Thank you to You and your team.
Damon Nabors
bob magnuson

Post by bob magnuson »

I loaded a older job and tried to generate labels with color coding. I don't seem to get any color coding. What step am I missing.

Bob
Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Post by Neville Bastian »

Thanks Jason for the update on the future of Ecabinets.
Personally I would not be at all bored if you told us all that was being planned for the future of Ecabinets.

Would you mind looking at the material cost side of Ecabinets. In Australia we have been hit with massive changes in hardware costs which is making Ecabinets hardware costs become very out of wack. If we could be told how to change your pricing data base and how to add items that are specific to our operations.
If you could release this sooner rather than latter as it will result in reducing our profit mark-up on hardware.

Its great you are thinking about ways we can be profitable. If you have idea's on what you intend to change in Ecabinets to help us afford a new Thermwood please let us know what they are. Maybe feedback at a early stage will help your programmers know what we need and maybe what is not so welcome. This way programmers time can be well spent.

All the best
Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Tim Massa

Post by Tim Massa »

I outsource all my panel milling and edgebanding to a thermwood shop and this visual reference to aid in assembly will come as a great help and timesaver. That and to sift out my parts without having to read the labels anymore, by spotting the color intsead, will be fantastic. I love the idea of using visual language to aid in production. I only wish the software itself used the same logic. Still looks like a chinese translated technical manual and invites error and fatigue for me. Why not lay out the input fields for the tennons as they will appear on the part? This is just one example of poor layout. There are still many more with the software input layout, in my opinion only. Seems like visual reference layout makes sense from the assembly standpoint and the marks are appreciated,...GREATLY! Hope it translates into the graphic layout of the software someday.
Thanks.
Iain Hall

Post by Iain Hall »

I know that when it comes to talking about computers here I am WAY over my head I have just one question. What is Vista supposed to do better than XP? I have XP Pro on everything except my youngest son's laptop it came with Vista. He needed help with some things on it the end result of which is I am now out a fair bit of cash as the laptop did not survive the encounter the replacement will have XP. Please do not make Ecab so that I must use Vista.
Iain Hall
Woodwright Cabinets
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

I would also vote for us to be able to access the hardware database part of the eCabs software. I hope that the plan is not to remove that from the software. It would be nice to have it setup such that we could edit this database to be able to put in new hardware, vendor information, price information and of course have it setup for hole profiles as it currently is. It would be nice to be able to generate a hardware list that we could print out based on our vendor selections.

Thanks!

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)
Steve Dyches

Post by Steve Dyches »

Thanks for the improvements!
I think the assembly marks will be a benefit as it reduces thinking. thinking hurts :? It will be good in a multi-employee shop and for RTA products sold to others.
I still look forward to the improved line drawings.
Thanks,

Steve Dyches
http://www.frostkeading.com
Denis L'Heureux
Guru Member

Post by Denis L'Heureux »

Joe Harkin wrote:Dan,
Have you looked at/played with a beta of Windows7 yet. I saw a link on one of the PC techie forums for a download of it. Thinking of maybe setting aside a small chunk of my new 500G SATA HD to fool around... :?:
I have installed it on a virtual machine and gave it a shot. It has some nice features but it is no better then Vista IMHO. I sill prefer XP by far. I removed Vista from my wife's laptop I got her for Xmas and replaced it with XP. It was a PITA because XP does not recognize the drivers for Vista very well and it took a while but well worth the effort.

I removed Win 7 from my virtual machine and replace it with Linux.....much better.
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Denis L'Heureux wrote:
Joe Harkin wrote:Dan,
I have installed it on a virtual machine and gave it a shot. It has some nice features but it is no better then Vista IMHO. I sill prefer XP by far. I removed Vista from my wife's laptop I got her for Xmas and replaced it with XP. It was a PITA because XP does not recognize the drivers for Vista very well and it took a while but well worth the effort.

I removed Win 7 from my virtual machine and replace it with Linux.....much better.
That's sort of what I figured since Windows 7 is the same code base as Vista.