Alphabet

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Neville Bastian
Guru Member
Company Name: Classic Cabinetry

Alphabet

Post by Neville Bastian »

I have searched on this subject and it seems everyone is using Autocad or mastercam to create DXFs for lettering.
I would like to create my business name on a pullout shelf that holds a cutlery tray. The shelf size stays the same and the lettering size will stay the same. Has anyone any ideas how to achieve that?
The advantage on doing it within Ecabinets is that I don't have double handling and it will nest in whatever orientation it throws out. It also uses small nested pieces that would normally be trashed.

I wish I had a shorter business name! :?

Maybe lettering could be added in version 10 of Ecabinets?

Regards

Neville
Neville Australia
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Re: Alphabet

Post by Rick Palechuk »

I don't know if this will help you or not Neville. http://www.deskam.com/deskengrave.html
Nick M Singer
Guru Member

Post by Nick M Singer »

Maybe you can try import the lettering as a DXF into the PE
Jon Kenworthy
Company Name: darrells Carpenter Shop

Post by Jon Kenworthy »

Rick Palechuk wrote:I don't know if this will help you or not Neville. http://www.deskam.com/deskengrave.html
Has anybody used this software for lettering. It looks like a good program, however once the letter files are saved as a DXF file I can't open it with our CAD software (AutoSketch). I tried to send the DXF file to the CNC and it said the material thickness needed to be 0.000 so I thought I would enter a material with this thickness and then change the Z shift, but the Control Nesting won't let you enter a material with no thickness. I tried to open the DXF file in the part editor and then make the necessary adjustments so it wouldn't cut out the complete O etc... but the DXF file had been set up to a depth of 5/16" so I couldn't trim any lines I entered in the part editor. The program won't let you set up a DXF file with a zero depth either. Is it time to upgrade our CAD software or is there something I'm missing?
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by George Davidson »

Rick that works good
This is a 4' x 8' sheet
Attachments
George.jpg
George.jpg (35.37 KiB) Viewed 7224 times
George_1.jpg
George_1.jpg (54.35 KiB) Viewed 7224 times
Will Williamson
Guru Member
Company Name: Williamson Finewoodwork

Post by Will Williamson »

Being able to cut various fonts is a source of revenue that is badly needed. The lack of this ability to leave islands in your pockets is the biggest short falls of this software. Not just 1 island but multiple islands.
Will

http://www.willmade.com

KEG/Intel Core i 7 CPU K875 @ 2.93 GHZ/12G Ram
Dual boot XP PRO/Windows 7 Nvidia Quatro 600 1Gig Ram
Rick Deskins
Thermwood Team
Company Name: Thermwood

Post by Rick Deskins »

From previous post: http://www.thermwood.com/forums/viewtop ... alf#p49110

You can get this done in the system today. For letters like A and B and numbers like 0, you have to divide the letter in half. For example 0, you divide it in half vertically and cut out each half of the 0 separately to achieve what you want.

While splitting the letters that cause islands will give you the graphical look correctly, it will not machine correctly at this time. You will need to make your split pieces cut at a small difference in depth like 0.03mm. Hopefully this amount will not cause you undesired results. The current version of eCabinetSystems will not recognize the islands created when it creates data for CNC. We do plan to implement this in the future, but it is not planned for V6 release.
Rick Deskins
eCabinet Systems Programmer
Dell Precision / Xeon E3-1240 / 8GB RAM/ AMD FirePro V4900
Dale Wills
Company Name: none

Post by Dale Wills »

I have used DeskEngrave many times. Althought it is a basic lettering program, it has always done what I have needed. That is, making DXF files with a variety of different fonts and importing them into contour mode of part editor.
Dale
George Davidson
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by George Davidson »

eCabinet Systems
Attachments
e Cabinet Systems_2.jpg
e Cabinet Systems_2.jpg (69.42 KiB) Viewed 7064 times