ANY ONE USING ECABINETS ON A MAC?

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

BEN HOLM

ANY ONE USING ECABINETS ON A MAC?

Post by BEN HOLM »

I have both a PC notebook and a Macbook. My PC is running eCabinets now but its 6 years old and has a poor graphics card. It runs but as you could imagine not to quick. My Macbook is much more powerful, with core 2 duo 2ghz and 2gb ram. I know that it has just an intagrated video but its better then the PC. I was wondering if anyone has used a Mac to run eCabs. You can run Windows XP Pro on the Mac naturally with dual boot. I love my Mac and am wanting to get a new computer. The MacBook Pro has a 512mb video card but not sure about the OpenGL thing. Another Mac guy said Mac's are based on OpenGL. True? Really am it better for now before I get my new computer, PC or Mac am I better off Chucking my old PC and Running eCabs on my MacBook for now?
Dell Precision M6400
Core 2 Duo T9600 2.8GHz
4GB Ram
NVIDIA Quadro FX 2700M (6.14.11.9562)
Windows XP Pro 32bit
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Re: ANY ONE USING ECABINETS ON A MAC?

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Hey Ben, just search "Mac" and you should find all the info you will need.
Dean Fehribach
Site Admin
Company Name: Thermwood Corporation

Re: ANY ONE USING ECABINETS ON A MAC?

Post by Dean Fehribach »

Yes, the Macintosh's graphical user interface (GUI) is focused on OpenGL and not DirectX, which is a Microsoft-only protocol. OpenGL is a 3D standard adopted by Linux, Unix, Mac, and other non-Microsoft O/S's. I had a chance to play with eCabinet Systems running in a Macbook Pro through Parallels that belonged to our South African sales and service group. I was impressed with how well it performed in the Parallels virtual machine. For optimum performance, run Windows via Boot Camp. I have eCabinet Systems running on my home 20" iMac via VMWare Fusion and performance is sorely lacking.

Rick is right. This is a lot of discussion on this forum about Macs.
Dean Fehribach
I.S. Mgr., Thermwood
Dell Workstation T1650 / XEON E3 / 8GB RAM / 1GB nVidia Quadro 600 / Windows 8 Pro x64