Invalid Argument While Saving-Now File Wont Open

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Vince Lisanti

Invalid Argument While Saving-Now File Wont Open

Post by Vince Lisanti »

I searched the forums on this, but what I found was different than this situation so I am posting it.

I received this message when saving a job file from the custom layout overhead view;

"An Invalid Argument Has Occured"

The sysem than locked up and I was forced to shut down and now that file will not open. Luckily I do I have other previous files of this job, but I did lose some work.

Steps I did before save error and after last succesful save;

From custom layout highlight wall and go into wall elevation view
Bring a valance that is actually a cabinet that has been stripped down to just top rail and partial top into cabinet editor.
From cabinet editor go into face frame editor and change top rail from 3" to 3 3/4"
Return to Main CE
Save this cabinet/valance under a new name
Return to Custom Layout
Return to wall elevation view to verify location
Return to overhead view in CL
Hit Save Button
Recieved Error

I would be curious to see if anyone else can open the file. I tried to upload the zip but it is not working. I will try to upload again so I can get this one out there.

Oh one other thing. I noticed when it locked up on error, that it looked like it had one of my LDE drawings from the job all over the screen in the background. But I never entered the LDE since at least 5 saves ago.

Thanks

Vince

CCS Woodworks Inc.
Dell Precision M4800
Intel(r) core(tm) i7-4800mq cpu @ 2.70ghz
32 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro K 2100M
Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Invalid Argument While Saving-Now File Wont Open

Post by DanEpps »

How many pages of drawings are in the job Vince? It sounds like you ran out of memory with it showing part of a drawing.

Try this...save one copy of the job with drawings and one without. Do all of your modifications and tweaks on the "without" version. Once you are happy with it, add the drawings one page at a time (saving after each page).

Each drawing page contains full 3D versions of everything you place on it and uses as much memory as the original did. If you have five pages and each page has the entire layout, your job will require six times the memory (original plus five copies).
Vince Lisanti

Post by Vince Lisanti »

Hi Dan,

I think it was 4 pages that I had, and this is a big job so I guess that equates to a lot.
I am not sure I understand ? If I save two copies one without the drawings and one with the drawings and than continue to make changes on the one without, how than do I add the drawings back one page at a time to the edited file? Or do you mean any new drawaings I do to this file ?

Also,

I am having a problem uploading the the zipped file. It just goes to this;

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Any Ideas ?

Thanks

Vince
Dell Precision M4800
Intel(r) core(tm) i7-4800mq cpu @ 2.70ghz
32 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro K 2100M
Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

I guess I was a little unclear there.

What I meant was to preserve the current job with its drawings and copy it for backup/reference purposes. In the new job, delete all of the drawings and save it. After making all the adjustments to the new job and saving it (keep this copy without drawings so you don't have to redo the layout), copy it and add drawings (manually). Save after adding each page of drawings so you won't lose everything in the event of a crash.

What you end up with is the original job, a new job without drawings and a copy of the new job with drawings. For a really large job with lots of drawings you might even want to save it as multiple, smaller jobs with fewer pages of drawings.

I know this sounds like a lot of extra work, but until the Line Drawing Editor is improved in its resource usage, it is about the only way to prevent problems. I think the Line Drawing Editor is supposed to be improved with version 6 (I sure hope so).