Contour Mode Blues

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Adam DAgosto
Company Name: VCC

Contour Mode Blues

Post by Adam DAgosto »

Hello.

I am using the V5 Training Guide by Dennis L. Englert (April 2007 ver 5.1) book to guide me through the process of creating a contour in a toe kick. If fact, what I want is EXACTLY what is show on page 241!! You'd think this would be a snap.

No so much...

I don't get it. As I read it I get confused and as I try it, I get lost. Do I want partial or chain to create that arc? Then I need to go into a tool profile or something like that when I click NEXT??? I just want to have the pattern drawn so I can have my builder know what I want.

Can anyone explain how this tool is used?

Thanks,

Adam
Dennis Englert

Re: Contour Mode Blues

Post by Dennis Englert »

Adam,
I no longer have a copy of that book, but from the contour mode you would draw the arc, then attach a line to the endpoints. Return to the geometric mode, which is the first page. From the right-click menu choose, Cut/Pocket Using Closed Contour. Select Cut Through on the Cutting Dept Settings dialog, then OK. That will cut out the shape you've drawn as long as the arc and the lines are connected in a closed loop.

We use a different method now that incorporates the Constraint Manager and seems easier for many to use. In the Part Editor on the first page, select the 3 pt arc geometric shape. Sketch in the shape. Right-click and choose Cut/Pocket Using Geometric Shapes and set the depth as Cut Through or otherwise. Then set the dimensions of the cutout using the Constraint Manager. The Contraint Manager addresses the issues of what to do with the arc when the cabinet resizes.

I've added a short pdf to explain cutting out the toe kick with a geometric shape.

Dennis
Attachments
700-201 Part Editor-Toe Kick Arc Extracted.pdf
(1.32 MiB) Downloaded 253 times
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Re: Contour Mode Blues

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Adam,

If you are seeing Partial and Chain then you are using the wrong tool. You are trying to profile the Arc you created instead of cutting the arc you created.

Cut the arc the way Dennis describes using the right click menu then you can profile the edges if you want.

Kerry