Move Cabinet Off and Away From a Wall

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Adam DAgosto
Company Name: VCC

Move Cabinet Off and Away From a Wall

Post by Adam DAgosto »

Hi.

I can't seem to figure out how to move a cabinet 1" away from a wall. I want the front of a cabinet to be 25" off a wall, but I only want the cabinet to be 24" in depth (build reasons). I tricked it by making the cabinet 25" in depth then resizing it to 24" and adjusting it off the back side. It worked, but I'd like to know the correct way to do this.

Any help would be cool.

Thx.

Adam
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Re: Move Cabinet Off and Away From a Wall

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Place the 24" cabinet, then hilite the cabinet, set your movement to freestyle, and the move increment to 1". Now while holding down the shift key, use your arrow keys to move it away from the wall. HTH
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

If you need to install several cabinets 1" away from the wall you can go to Settings and Preferences and set it up in the Standard Dimensions. From that point on all cabinets including wall cabinets will be 1" away from the wall. The "Base Cabinet Mounting Height" and the "Upper Cabinet Mounting Height" defaults can also be changed.

The method that Adam provided you works well for this and also for moving cabinets up and down on an elevation view. Additonally, you should be able to select a whole bank of cabinets and move them 1" away without changing to "Free Style". If you do use the "Move Increment" method, you may need to check to see if the cabinets lose their association to the wall. They may become detached or "disassociated" from the wall if they are moved after their placement. If they are installed away from the wall as setup in Standard Dimensions, they will be associated automatically.

You can also change the settings in Standard Dimensions as described and then move the cabinet away from the wall using the "Move in Wireframe" option (blue cabinet icon with red arrow and the green wireframe of a cabinet being placed). Select the cabinet, then the Move in Wireframe icon and move the cabinet as you would when you first place it. When you use this method, the cabinet will be moved away from its current position and then placed back on the wall at the new Standard Dimension (1" away from the wall). It would need to be repositioned on the wall (left or right). In both cases, when you place a cabinet, the cabinet's position can be influenced by the "Align to Back" placement mode. By that, I mean if you have a cabinet placed against a wall, and then you install a cabinet that is supposed to be 1" away from the wall, the Align to Back feature will override the 1" setting.

Hope that wasn't too confusing. There are multiple methods. Each having their own benefit and behavior.

:D Dennis
Adam DAgosto
Company Name: VCC

Post by Adam DAgosto »

Dennis,

Actually, there was a lot of information in your post. I didn't think about doing it that way because I only needed to put out a total of 4 cabinets from the wall. The problem I had with setting the increment to 1" and using the SHIFT+arrow key trick was the wall was on an angle. I've noticed when you work on a wall that is angles from the standard North, East, South, West, the arrow keys get a little nuts.

Thanks for the help.

Adam
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Adam,

Positioning cabinets on an angled wall is where using the Cabinet to Wall Clearance setting in preferences Dennis mentioned is really handy. It will position your cabinet 1 inch from the wall then you can go to the wall elevation view to position the cabinet correctly using numerical entry.

Kerry