Combining Two Cabinets into One

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Adam DAgosto
Company Name: VCC

Combining Two Cabinets into One

Post by Adam DAgosto »

Hello.

I created a big cabinet that was too tall (104" high). So now I created two cabinets and stacked them. I would like to blend them into one cabinet as far as editing goes because I can not get my face frames on correctly. I want the side rails to be 104" long and not see the joint line.

Is there a way to do this?

Thx.
Damon Nabors
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Combining Two Cabinets into One

Post by Damon Nabors »

just set a bottom offset on the style for the upper cabinet so that they extend down the length of the lower cabinet.
Damon Nabors
Adam DAgosto

Post by Adam DAgosto »

Well, that works.

I like it.

However, I'd still like to know if there is a way to combinet two cabinets into one entity. I think it's done with the Assembly editor, but I have not figured it out yet.

Thanks for the good idea!
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Adam,

Simply open both cabinets in the cabinet editor, manipulate them however you want and save them as an assembly then place the assembly in your room.

Assemblies behave differently than cabinets though. They won't snap to another cabinet or to a wall. They are always placed on the floor and must be maneuvered into place manually.

At this time there is no way to merge two cabinets into one.

Kerry
Adam DAgosto

Post by Adam DAgosto »

Kerry,

I know this is probably basic and all, but you lost me. Try to avoid words like, "simply" and, "all you have to do..." :shock:

I'm just busting your chops, it's all good; I'll get there!

Back to business, "Simply open both cabinets in the cabinet editor, manipulate them however you want and save them as an assembly then place the assembly in your room."

Okay I tried that. I "simply" opened up both cabinets in the editor and one sat right "in" the other. I could not manipulate to much. And when you say, "manipulate", do you mean fix that and adjust that face frame and adjust that or do you mean I can have one cabinet physically moved in the editor so that it actually sits on top of the other cabinet you have loaded in there? That kind of manipulation?

Anyway, that's what I'm trying to do; stick an 80" cabinet on top of a 20" cabinet. Then I could have them look as one, build may face frames and shelves and start cutting wood.

So, did I follow you right or am I still out in left field?

Thanks Kerry.

Adam
Al dedenus
Guru Member
Company Name: Creative Kitchens and Interior

Post by Al dedenus »

Hi Adam.load one cabinet>press T >hold ctrl and right click>move your mouse to move the 'target'>load your next cabinety>double click one cabinet (will have a green outline)>hold ctrl and right click>move mouse to roughly position your cabinet>double click on the cabinet thats not highlighted (both will now have green outline)>run cursor over corner of one cabinet till a blue node appears and click>do the same on the other cabinet till a red node appears and click>align items in bottom toolbar>choose align to zero and click.now you can save these two cabinets as an assembly. Hope this helps!
You can actually skip moving the target unless the cabinet is hidden in the first one.
Adam DAgosto

Post by Adam DAgosto »

Okay we have a completion going now I see!

Kerry is da Bomb.

Leo is da Man

Al is the Sh%t!!!!! :beer:

Thank you so much! That worked perfectly. I had to admit, as I was reading your instructions I was thinking, "there is no way this is going to work. Everyone ALWAYS leaves out something important and it will screw me up!"

Not so friend. I followed your words to the T and there she was!

Thank you.

By the way, Leo, I still used your method to deal with the face frames, so I could do it without you, so yes, u da man!

You're all the best.

Thank you for progress!! :D
Al dedenus
Guru Member
Company Name: Creative Kitchens and Interior

Post by Al dedenus »

Glad you got it sorted but I think I need a few more thousand posts to be in the same league as Kerry ! :joker:
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Adam DAgosto wrote:...Anyway, that's what I'm trying to do; stick an 80" cabinet on top of a 20" cabinet...
Ummm...careful, that tall cabinet on top of the short one will topple over. :joker: (Does that earn ME a title? :mrgreen: )