Selecting Multiple Objects in PE

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester
Company Name: Plymouth Custom Closets

Selecting Multiple Objects in PE

Post by Nat Wheatley »

I have a number of boring patterns that I'm trying to apply cut depths to in PE. What's the easiest way to select a group of holes that will be assigned the same depth value? I'm sure I'm just missing something, my head is aching trying to select muliple 5mm holes one at a time. Thanks.
http://www.plymouthcustomclosets.com

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
jerry johnson

Re: Selecting Multiple Objects in PE

Post by jerry johnson »

Hi, Nat. What kind of patterns are you trying to create? If you are wanting to do a full height line boring thing an easy way to do it is with an adjustable shelf with no holes on one side of the shelf and a bunch of holes on the other. You can set the depth when you add the shelf and you do not have to go to the part editor. I have used this method to create connecting bolt holes too. Is this the kind of thing you are looking for? 8)
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Nat,
In the part editor click on the select tool (the arrow) then right click and choose Cut Pocket Using Closed Contour then click on all the holes you want to pocket the same depth to select them. (You may have to click on the F9 key to turn off grid snap to be a ble to select them)
Click on the Next button and set your hole depth.

Kerry
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Sorry Nat,

I just re-read your post and realized it isn't a problem selecting it is that you want to select a group of objects. I don't think you can do that where you want in the part editor. You will have to select holes one at a time.

Kerry
David Egnoski
Company Name: Richmond Cabinet

Post by David Egnoski »

It doesn't look as though you can select a group. But you can set them all to the same depth in one shot. After you right click and select "Cut pocket using closed contour", just select all your pockets one at a time. When they all turn green, click next and set the depth or cut through.
Dave Egnoski
Richmond Cabinet & Millwork
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Thanks guys. It does look like I'll need to select them one at a time.

The patterns are generally 2 rows of shelf holes, top to bottom. The hitch is that each opening has several adjustable shelves. From what I could tell, the only way to do this, within the program, was to position each shelf at just the right height no that the holes assigned to each shelf lined up to form one continous row of holes.

Instead of doing that I chose to bring in the hole patterns as a DXF, lay them on the parts, choose each hole, then assign a cut depth to the group. These cabinets won't be changed in height or depth, so they won't need intelligence.

I'm not sure it was easier to do it this way, but it did go fairly quickly once I got started.

Dell Precision 490/ Intel Xeon 3.20 Ghz/3 GB RAM/ Nvidia Quadro FX 3450/ Windows XP, sp 3
Jon Kenworthy
Company Name: darrells Carpenter Shop

Post by Jon Kenworthy »

When you're in the shelf/partition editor, you can figure out about how many shelf holes it will take to get them all the way up the cabinet and enter this in for the amount of shelf holes up, place the first shelf, then uncheck the box in the construction settings where it says Apply Shelf holes and add as many more shelves as you want. Then press the Control key on you're keyboard and click on each section between your shelves to highlight them and click on the Equalize box on the left side of the screen and you have one set of shelf holes with the same spacing and the shelves for the cut list.
Nat Wheatley
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Nat Wheatley »

Much easier than what I've been doing. Looking forward to trying that tommorrow.

Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Jon Kenworthy wrote:When you're in the shelf/partition editor, you can figure out about how many shelf holes it will take to get them all the way up the cabinet and enter this in for the amount of shelf holes up, place the first shelf, then uncheck the box in the construction settings where it says Apply Shelf holes and add as many more shelves as you want.

You made me learn something today, ouch, my brain hurts now. :beer:
Dell Precision 7710
Intel Core i7-6820HQ @ 2.70GHz 16.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
512 GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 SSD
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

http://lrgwood.com
Jon Kenworthy
Company Name: darrells Carpenter Shop

Post by Jon Kenworthy »

3 cheers for the E-cabinets school. Dennis showed me how to do that a couple of years ago when I went to the training in Indiana.