Nesting and CNC

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Justin Rank
Company Name: Coastal WoodworX

Nesting and CNC

Post by Justin Rank »

I have finished my first ecab kitchen design. I am ready to bring it to nesting and output my code to the shopbot link. I have some issues.

-Most cabinet parts are nested correctly, but I want to move some parts from one sheet to another.

-I am cutting slab doors, why is it nesting some doors vertically and others horizontally? I need to change that.

-When I am happy with the nest, how do I export it to .twd?

-When I select filter, it does a big round about of thinking, and brings me back to the cnc output window. Does that sound right?
Justin Rank

Re: Nesting and CNC

Post by Justin Rank »

got the grain thing figured out. Now it should nest with the grain.
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Justin,

Make sure you have the Grain check-box checked on your material in Preferences/Define Stock Materials.
If you don't have that box checked the program assumes there is no grain direction and will nest parts both vertically and horizontally. If you have the box checked check the grain orientation on your parts in the cabinet editor and make sure it is correct.

There is no way to drag and drop parts from one sheet to another in the nest but you can use the right click menu in the cabinet editor and choose "Group Parts" and group certain parts like doors and Drawer fronts together so that they are nested from the same sheet.

Kerry
Justin Rank

Post by Justin Rank »

got it all figured out. Thanks Kerry!
Jason Susnjara
Thermwood Team

Post by Jason Susnjara »

Hi Justin,

If you have cabinets within your room or batch, you will need to save your job (file, save job as). Then click on the CNC button at the top right of your screen. You will then load your eCabinets job to create the twd file. It is not neccessary to nest within eCabinets before creating the twd file. The nesting within eCabinets will however give you a good understanding of how many sheets it will take for a particular job and like your case, you noticed that your doors were nesting wrong due to the grain. You can filter within eCabinets but can also be done in the Shopbot link in the Load screen area.
Jason Susnjara
V.P., Marketing
Thermwood Corp.

On YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/ThermwoodCNC
Thermwood Blog:
http://blog.thermwood.com
Leo Graywacz
Guru Member
Company Name: LRG WoodCrafting

Post by Leo Graywacz »

Kerry Fullington wrote:There is no way to drag and drop parts from one sheet to another in the nest but you can use the right click menu in the cabinet editor and choose "Group Parts" and group certain parts like doors and Drawer fronts together so that they are nested from the same sheet.

Kerry

Arrrrrg. You made me learn new stuff.....cool. :beer:
Dell Precision 7710
Intel Core i7-6820HQ @ 2.70GHz 16.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro M3000M
512 GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 SSD
Win 7 Pro 64-bit

http://lrgwood.com