Building a non-standard box

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Adam DAgosto
Company Name: VCC

Building a non-standard box

Post by Adam DAgosto »

Hi.

Take a look at this "cabinet". It, like all cabinets has an open front to it. However, I am trying to close up all 4 sides and have only the TOP open. In construction setting there is no tab for FRONT, so I can figure out how to close up the front to make a fully enclosed box on all 5 sides. The top would be open.

The project is for a garbage bin (to drop a plastic garbage bin into). The box is decorative and will have a top with a hinge. I built one of these for my wife and it really came out nice. That was before the eCabinets days. I'd like to be able to fine tune the design.

You'll also notice it's built from all 1/4" plywood (not a very strong box). But that's just the shell. I then build outward adding corner joints (3/4" hardwood) that is routed with a lock-miter bit to hide the end-grain. One of the key elements is to build this thing light; it really can't be a heavy box.

So once I figure out how to build the complete 5-sided box, my next question will be how to add the hardwood pieces on the corners using a lock-miter bit.

This box will most certainly use a lot of eCabinets power due to it's non-standard nature. Any help will be great and when I finish it I will post it for you to see the final product. Plus I can post pictures of the garbage bin I already built in the kitchen now. It really beats those white or fancy chrome garbage bins you see in a lot of kitchens. Sure it would be nice to have the hidden one inside the cabinetry, but my kitchen was not designed with that in mind (like many).

Any help would be way cool!

Adam
Attachments
Box.hsf
(118.02 KiB) Downloaded 336 times
Box.jpg
Box.jpg (10.58 KiB) Viewed 9004 times
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Re: Building a non-standard box

Post by Joe Dusel »

Build a standard cabinet and then rotate it.

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Adam DAgosto wrote:This box will most certainly use a lot of eCabinets power due to it's non-standard nature.
It won't use any power at all...like Joe said, use a standard frameless cabinet and flip it on its back.
So once I figure out how to build the complete 5-sided box, my next question will be how to add the hardwood pieces on the corners using a lock-miter bit.
You have to manually add Display Boards of the appripriate size to the corners. If you are just making this for design purposes (i.e. not using a CNC) there is no need to create the lock joints, jusat overlap the corners. If you want to illustrate the joinery, make a tool in Shape Manager and take each corner board to the Part Manager and profile the edge.
jerry johnson

Post by jerry johnson »

Like this, Adam.
TRASH BOX.jpg
TRASH BOX.jpg (34.87 KiB) Viewed 8910 times
8)
Adam DAgosto

Post by Adam DAgosto »

A standard frameless cabinet...

I didn't know there was such a thing. I will have to find that now.

As for the lock-miter deal, that's a good idea to overlap them. I like that.
Adam DAgosto

Post by Adam DAgosto »

Do you mean I should take a cabinet that has an open "front" like all cabinets do and make that the new TOP. The old BACK becomes the new DECK?

Is that right?

That should work.
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Yep. The "standard" cabinets are those that come with eCabinets. Use those to develop your own libraries of "seed" cabinets in your preferred construction style. You cannot save anything in the Standard Cabinets folder...just enter the name of the new library you want to create over "Standard Cabinets" when you save your first seed cabinet.

After you create your own library, you will use those cabinets to create jobs.
Adam DAgosto

Post by Adam DAgosto »

Cool this is actually working!

I just have to get used to the "new" depth, height and width.
Adam DAgosto

Post by Adam DAgosto »

It's a start!
Attachments
Garbage Bin Mod.jpg
Garbage Bin Mod.jpg (56.36 KiB) Viewed 8888 times