Weird little problem

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Weird little problem

Post by Peter Walsh »

I have a room with several cabinets in it. In the course of working on the project, I take a cabinet from the room into edit, make some changes to the cab, save the cab to its original default name so as to capture the changes permanently to the individual cabinet. Then, I return to the room responding to the prompt to save the changes to the room affirmatively. The problem..... no matter how I attempt to save the change the cabinet names now stays "Kitchen upper cabinet 1 - Mod-1". So, when I go to nest my parts, I have a much longer name with the added "Mod-1" string. What am I doing wrong? I should be able to save the changes and have the Mod-1 designation disappear. I have tried several ways to save and have not been successful. I am running the latest version and build....5.2 build 5.
DUH.
Thanks,
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Re: Weird little problem

Post by Gary Puckett »

Peter,

Try losing the dash, and name the modifications using at the end of the name REV. 1 and so on

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Post by DanEpps »

Its an automatic thing Gary.

I think it has always done that Peter (of course, my memory may be tricking me :wink: ).
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Peter,

When you pull your cabinet into the cabinet editor from a room and make changes, save the cabinet to a folder with the name you want the cabinet to have then when you click Return to Room click yes to the prompt to save the changes to the room. This should get rid of the mod-1 tag on the cabinets. You will have to save the cabinet every time you edit it though or ecabinets thinks it has been modified.

Hope this makes sense.

Kerry
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Kerry,
That is exactly the procedure I have been using to no avail.
The thing that bothers me is that when I nest the room, the cabs are named with the Mod-1 tag making me wonder if I am printing the final cab version. I suspect I am, but it still doesn't seem to reason out.
I suspect I could get rid of the tag by deleting each cab and re-installing them from the saved cab folder, but that is a hassle on a large project and one would think that once saved, the Mod-1 tag should drop off when nesting. Weird.
thanks all,
Kerry Fullington
Wizard Member
Company Name: Double E Cabinets

Post by Kerry Fullington »

Peter,

I told you something that wasn't true. The reason it has been working for me is because I am also changing the cabinet name in the cab editor. The last thing I do before nesting a job is take each cabinet into the cab editor and re-name each cabinet to match the eCabinets numbering and save them to a directory so I am not confused by cabinet numbers in the LDE. Doing it this way you lose the Mod-1 but if I then take one of these re-named cabinets back into the cab editor it gets the Mod-1 again.

Something else about the cab editor. When you pull a cabinet from a room into the editor that cabinet is always shown as Cabinet #1 no matter what cabinet number it really is in the room. It would be nice if it were listed as cabinet #15 if it is cabinet number fifteen.

Sorry Peter, I turned out to be no help at all.

Kerry
Peter Walsh
Guru Member

Post by Peter Walsh »

Ah, Kerry, the mystery deepens.

There are so many things the programmers have to deal with (none the least, the approaching Windows 7) I suspect this isn't very high on the list.
Another little noxious item that is super easy to fix is (no new code, just screen addressing) when you are in the LDE and right click to use the Rotate commands, the rotate box pops up right on top of the cabinet so you can't see what you are doing and always have to move the box to one side. This is the only editor where that occurs. I have sent e-mails to the programmers before about this, but it still functions the same way (sigh).
Despite all that, I am very grateful for all their work and Thermwood's investment. We will all come up with work-arounds.
regards to all,