Resizing individual cabinets in Line drawing editor

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Dan Dunshee
Company Name: CraftsmanCNC

Resizing individual cabinets in Line drawing editor

Post by Dan Dunshee »

In working with a client, we go through several iterations of modifying cabinet widths, features, sizes, etc. This results in a drawing from LDE at each session. However every time a cabinet is modified in Cabinet Editor, updated in Custom Layout and then "taken to the Line Drawing Editor", a new page is created and all dimensions, notes and callouts have to be recreated on the new page. Is there a better way of updating the LDE page without creating a new one and having to re-enter all the dimensions, notes and callouts?
Rick Palechuk
Wizard Member
Company Name: Milltech Millworks Ltd.

Re: Resizing individual cabinets in Line drawing editor

Post by Rick Palechuk »

Welcome Dan, could you use elevations in the Room Layout Editor to present to your client? Or if it's an individual cabinet or assembly, in the Cabinet editor itself? Unfortunately, at this time there is no way to update a previous drawing.
Dan Dunshee
Company Name: CraftsmanCNC

Post by Dan Dunshee »

Rick,

Usually this is with things like Entertainment centers - where components and 52" TVs have to fit into a specific space. The dimension, note and callout info is important when you are discussing what will go into that space. I believe LDE is the only editor where you can show this in a printout. I was curious if anyone else had a better way of preserving this info.

Thanks for your response!
Gary Puckett
Wizard Member
Company Name: The Woodworkery

Post by Gary Puckett »

Hi Dan,

As you probably already know you can can make changes to your unit in the cabinet editor and rename it REV. 1,2,3,4 and so on. You also can dimension the unit in the cabinet editor.( this feature is for your eyes only) but you can then place the unit in a room and make a presentation rendering for your client to see.

Gary
HP Pavilion
Vista home Premium 64bit S. pack 2
AMD Phenom-X4
9850 Quad-Core Processor
6.0GB/Go Memory
1 TB/To Hard Drive
Nividia GeForce 9800 GT
Al dedenus
Guru Member
Company Name: Creative Kitchens and Interior

Post by Al dedenus »

I know where your comming from.I've had the same issue with one pedantic client that makes a minimal change to a drawing but still wants all the notes dimensions etc that were on the previous one.Shame you can't cut and paste notes to the new drawing.I think that auto dimensioning is pretty high on most peoples wish list for V6 of the LDE.But hey, look on the bright side,it will make you really efficent in the LDE doing that same drawing multiple times :joker:
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Al,

You can paste notes or a spreadsheet into a LDE. Create a note in Notepad or word processor. Copy the note. Then in LDE select the Note option, click on the page and paste the note. The imported note uses the default font and font size from the LDE. Spreadsheets may be a little harder to format and maintain the integrity of the data in columns, but I found that I can copy a column and paste it in one column at a time and then align the columns There may be a better method to control a spreadsheets format, but I haven't come up with a method for that.

I believe that improvements for the LDE are on the hot list, but I don't know what or when. So in the meantime there is no way to parametrically update a drawing when a cabinet or assembly or custom layout changes without re-creating it and subsequently adding another page. The previous, now inaccurate page can of course be deleted, but you still have the work of dimensioning and adding any pertinant notes.

Dennis
Joe Dusel
eCabinets Beta Tester

Post by Joe Dusel »

Yeah, it sure would be nice to have some sort of "View Port" LDE which would be a view to the wall or room created in the Custom Layout Editor. That way when you change the cabinets in your custom layout the dimensions would still be associated with the nodes selected previously in the LDE.

Or, at least we could have an LDE with a basic (selectable) auto-dimensioning of the out sides of cabinets in addition to the current dimensioning setup.

I still would like to see the LDE pages data saved in separate files (a file for each page) so that we don't make the project files unmanageable.

Joe
CFT411 http://www.cft411.com
Intel i7 920 @ 2.67GHz, 6 GB RAM, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA Geforce GT220 (1GB)
Al dedenus
Guru Member
Company Name: Creative Kitchens and Interior

Post by Al dedenus »

Thanks Dennis,but what I should have said was notes with leaders pointing to specific parts,I'll try the pasting though for header text and details of the drawing :beer: