Constraint manager Error

Moderators: Jason Susnjara, Larry Epplin, Clint Buechlein, Scott G Vaal

Rob Perry

Constraint manager Error

Post by Rob Perry »

I'm attempting to add some constraints to a fluted post made from a cabinet.
When trying to add the contraints on the left end flutes I get the Error " cannot find the marker seg" And the part gets distorted.
I've attached some images of the part in question.
Attachments
PE Error.jpg
PE Error.jpg (14.43 KiB) Viewed 6168 times
Part.jpg
Part.jpg (13.67 KiB) Viewed 6168 times
Column.jpg
Column.jpg (23.61 KiB) Viewed 6167 times
Rob
DanEpps
Wizard Member
Company Name: Dan Epps

Re: Constraint manager Error

Post by DanEpps »

Post the file so someone can look at the constraints for problems.
Rob Perry

Post by Rob Perry »

Here it is..
Attachments
Square Fluted Column 2.hsf
(188.02 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
Rob
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

That cabinet sure acted strangely. I took the back into Contour Mode of the Part Editor and Created Edges. I removed the outlines, leaving only the flutes then saved the geometry. Then I removed the cuts from the left end, took it into Contour Mode, loaded the saved geometry and returned to Part Editor and created the flutes. I wasn't sure what depth you used but I made them 1/4" deep.

I too the left end into the Constraint Manager and was able to apply constraints.

Not sure what the problem was but removing the cuts and reapplying them worked.
Attachments
Square Fluted Column 2a.hsf
(194.02 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
Rob Perry

Post by Rob Perry »

Thanks Dan to take the time to play around with this.
Did you remove the flutes from both pieces or just the left side before re-applying them?

I tried just removing the cuts on the left end & redoing them but still got the error.

I'm not using a router (yet).
Rob
Rob Perry

Post by Rob Perry »

Dan

You just made me realize I have been doing this type of thing all wrong.
I have been drawing the flutes with the rectangle tool then going to constraint manager & adding constraints.
Takes way to long.
I've just discovered Your way of loading DXF geometry is way way faster & less problematic.
I use a old turbocad V3 2D For other line drawings. Its perfect & only took a minuite to make a DXF of the flutes.
Rob
DanEpps
Wizard Member

Post by DanEpps »

Yep! Any time you have to duplicate a pattern, save the geometry for reuse. It sure saves a lot of time and you get an exact duplicate every time.

I only removed the cuts from the left end and copied the geometry from the back to use on the end.

Just as a matter of thought, if you do not plan on resizing the item with the cuts there is no need to place constraints on it. The only time constraints are used is when resizing an item with Part Editor cuts on it.
Dennis Englert

Post by Dennis Englert »

Just to add a comment about importing .dxf files. For those that don't have a CAD program, you can create geometry in the Shape Manager. In the Part Editor, you need to select the "X_t" file option instead of the .dxf file, which is the default option.

Many of us are comfortable with using various CAD packages so that is why the ability to use CAD and import .dxf files seems to be discussed quite a bit on the forum. There are many CAD packages out there that are reasonably priced, very capable and offer the drawing tools you'd expect from a CAD oriented package. For the most part, the Shape Manager can create complex geometries, but not with the ease that a developed CAD package can. But most importantly, it can!

The fluting template can be created in the Shape Manager, as well. As Dan stated, the Constraint Manager is only necessary if you want to constrain the geometry when the size of the cabinet part changes. If you change the size of the part/cabinet without constraints, the changes shift proportionally to size change.